Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

He really is just a baby! ** UPDATE**

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:17 PM
  • 43 Replies
1 mom liked this

We went and looked at a German Shepard on Monday evening. (This isnt the real buddy just a carbon copy)

A friend of FiL's can no longer keep him due to he feels like he cant give him the time he needs and he would like to get a smaller cheaper place since he broke up with his gf.                He's 1 1/2 yrs old and his name is Buddy.  We have been looking for another dog for quite some time only to have doors closed in our face time and time again.  Tom will give him to us for free. He raised him as a pup.  His Grandfather was a Police Dog and he has been through two obedience classes.  He took a liking to me and has already claimed me.  He did bark at Dh when DH gave him a command then was told NO by his owner and then was friendly after that. My guess is he was trying to be the Alpha to him. 

Has anyone ever had a German Shephard dog before?  We have always had Labs.  This would be a totally new breed for us.  I would love to hear anything you have to say about them.

I forgot to add we are having him over for the weekend to see how it goes and then decide from there.

We ended up taking him back home the first day in the afternoon.  He was very, very aggressive towards my Lab who is old and sick. We did all the introductions on neutral ground and put him in his crate and he just about busted out of there when he saw her. If he would of gotten to her I am convinced he would of killed her.   So I have a feeling that the owner wasn't all that honest about his aggression which was the first question I asked him. He was fine and loved being around dh and I but he wasnt to sure of sd13 and was staring her down.   If our whole yard was fenced in or if we didnt have another pets then it would of worked out.  Dh had a HARD time holding him back, if I were walking him and ran into a bad situation I wouldn't of been able to keep him back.  Sooo I hope he will find a good home. 

by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 7:07 PM

FUR! He's handsome. German Shepards are handsome. And 18 months is young still. Get some good puppy action with him. Sounds like the owner was firm with him (correctly), so you would just have to carry on with that. You'll notice he's alot smarter than a Lab. No matter how old a Lab gets, they still act like Jugheads. Even the smart ones. I think you'll have fun, and already having had big dogs, you know all the work involved. Good Luck....have fun!!

Mariagma3
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 7:15 PM

We have one. He looks just like our Rambo. They are sweet, wonderful, SMART dogs! Rambo is 7, Rusty is our cocker spaniel who is 13. Rusty is older, getting more spoiled, so I have to put his food on the floor by hand. Rambo used to go after his food, if left unattended. I did it yesteday, bowl of food in one hand, flip flop in the other!! He left it alone!! Good luck, you'll love him. Make sure to have a good vacuum cleaner, and a broom AND lint roller in the other!!

Shellness
by Michell on Aug. 15, 2012 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I grew up with Shepards. We loved them. They are loyal, fun, and protective. They are not dangerous, don't get me wrong. Super smart. Just great dogs. Those and doberman pincher's. My 2 favorite.

Bmat
by Barb on Aug. 15, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Oh how nice that you are considering adopting Buddy. What I've heard about shepherds is that they are very smart.

homeskoolmama
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 9:03 PM
We have and bear is part shepherd. Smart loyal dogs who need lots of attention and exercise. Training is a must
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Shepards are wonderful dogs.  Powerful and intelligent as well as beautiful.  

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:27 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Have heard only good things about shepards,
He's darling & hope you adopt him :)

darmomusaf
by Gold Member on Aug. 16, 2012 at 6:36 AM

Never has a shepard, but hear that they are very loyal dogs. Good Luck, hope this works out for you!

kam013
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2012 at 6:44 AM

Our first dog was a Shepard/husky mix and DD's current dog is a Shepard mix.  Love them both, they listen well, train well and behave well.  Very, very loyal.  DD doesn't keep hers tied up at all and she never, ever leaves the yard without her.  I obviously don't recommend that, but it's nice to know she won't bolt like my Huskies would (regardless of training, Huskies will bolt).

I cannot recall if your other dog is a male, but if this one is not neutered, watch for marking.  Even if he is neutered, he may still mark just because of the scent of the other dog.  They MAY mark everything to stake their claim on you and your home.  Some male dogs don't mark at all, others will (my male used to, but has mostly grown out of it).

Have fun with him, they are beautiful dogs!!

louannwilkins
by Louann on Aug. 16, 2012 at 7:41 AM

I've had one before and he was a great dog.  Very smart and loyal.  We use to laugh and say that he minded us much better than the boys.  lol  He was my dog when I was married and sadly he died shortly after our divorce.  He was up in age.  Let us know what you do.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)