Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Riley's sewing day!

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:28 PM
  • 8 Replies

As promised, here are a couple of pics of Riley's two skirts that she and I made today.  As with Ramona last weekend, Riley did most of the sewing, but there were parts that were too difficult (stretching the elastic while sewing it onto the skirt part), so I did that.  And I helped her with the pressing required.  I love the fabrics she picked out!!!

Here's skirt #1 (I LOVE this pic!!  The smile, the hair...):

and skirt #2:

by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
CoeyG
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:32 PM

She did pick some good fabrics and I never could master the Pulling of the elastic and sewing it on myself...pain in the butt!

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Aug. 20, 2012 at 12:05 AM

cute!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Very cute!
She did great :)

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Cute pics! 

So, on the circle skirt - is that cut on the bias?  I still can't imagine getting into that skirt without a zipper or something

KittyGram
by Becky on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Quoting suzeebloch:

Cute pics! 

So, on the circle skirt - is that cut on the bias?  I still can't imagine getting into that skirt without a zipper or something

It's a big circle.  We started out by drawing the pattern on regular paper (6 pieces taped together!!!) based on their directions (If you want, I can give you the link, but I think for most adults, we'd have to do 2 half circles and then sew them together, since the fabric is 42" wide, or 44"/45", or find wider material). 

Then we folded the fabric in half, then in half again the other way, and then cut our pattern out.  OUr pattern was just a quarter circle. 

The waistband works without a zipper, because the small waistband circle is cut out larger than your waist (the exact formula was - I think - waist measurement, plus 2 inches, then divide that number by 6.28, and then you draw your quarter circle measuring that # inches away from your "center").   The waist circle is larger than your waist, and then it gets sewed onto the elastic (the elastic, by this point, has been sewed end to end, to form a circle).  So your stretch of the elastic is enough for the hips. 

It's a pretty cool, very easy pattern.  I'm not a skirt person, but as I lose more weight, I just might make me one. 

gmadiane
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM

cute

jabs54
by Jeanine on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:53 PM

They turned out wonderful!  That's really great that you're teaching them to sew.  My mother was a sewer but my dd's or I have no interest in it ~ my poor mom ;)

KittyGram
by Becky on Aug. 20, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Quoting jabs54:

They turned out wonderful!  That's really great that you're teaching them to sew.  My mother was a sewer but my dd's or I have no interest in it ~ my poor mom ;)

My mom sewed, too, but she didn't teach us anything.  She didn't have time, raising 12 kids!!!!  There are 5 of us that sew/quilt, another at least 2 (plus one of the quilters) that crochet and or knit.  Even though she didn't have the time to teach us, she rubbed off on us!!!!!   My daughter doesn't sew very much (but she does a little - she's made a number of very cute aprons this year), so I'm very happy that my granddaughters are interested!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)