Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Declutter Your Way To Good Health?

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 12:38 PM
  • 12 Replies

11 Ways Throwing Out Clutter Is Good for Your Health

Posted by Aunt Becky

It's so easy to let things pile up around you. It's hard to take the time to go through your house and make sure everything is clean and clutter-free, especially if you have a number of small people running around breaking stuffs.

Did you know that having extra clutter around your house can cause you stress and actual harm? It's true. There are a number of health benefits related to simplifying your life and reducing the amount of clutter in your life.

1) Having a clean house means that you can feel a greater sense of peace in your life, as your home is your sanctuary. Everyone needs a place they can go to feel safe at the end of the day - and the extra clutter can prevent that.

2) Simplifying your life by cutting out the extra stuff - including that pair of pants you haven't worn since the Reagan administration - can allow you to focus upon what's really important: friends, family, living life.

3) A cluttered home means greater amounts of personal stress you may not even be aware of. Prolonged periods of stress can lead to heart disease, greater risk of emotional instability and mood disorders, and lower energy levels.

4) When you do a purge of your house, closet, bedroom, it gives you a huge boost of happiness. The more you declutter, the happier you'll begin to feel as you accomplish tasks!

5) When you donate the items you no longer use to charity, it can make you happier knowing that the items you don't use will be used by someone who needs them.

6) The less stuff you have around the home, the greater your ability to relax and rejuvenate and get ready to face a new day.

7) Things like old clothes and stuffed animals can harbor a ton of dust, which can increase the likelihood that you'll get sick. Removing them can reduce how often you catch a bug.

8) Clutter unfortunately can decrease self-esteem and make you feel overwhelmed as it's a constant reminder of what you need to take care of - and what you haven't done.

9) A messy house may make you isolate yourself from friends and family, since you're too embarrassed to invite them over. This can increase feelings of loneliness and shame, leading to depression.

10) Extra clutter can make you feel exhausted because it may feel as though you have no time or energy to clean up after yourself and others.

11) Excess clutter can keep you in the past, rather than in the moment and looking toward the future.

What are some of the ways you manage to keep clutter at bay?

Now that fall is upon us, will you be doing any fall cleaning or decluttering?

by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LeJane
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I will be doing alot of fall cleanup,   mainly in gardens.   I also will be rotating all storage in the outside buildings.    No need for a lawnmower at 20 below 0.   :-)

One of the best ways I manage clutter is to stay at it.    Keep picking up as we go so there is not so much left to do.  I think being aware and not just setting things down and leaving them is one of the biggest things.   It takes just a few seconds to put things away. 

Bmat
by Barb on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:33 PM

There are some good points here. Thank you for posting them.  So true that I am embarrassed to have people over. I am having friend over next week and I must get busy and get things cleaned up.

robin7771
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I make a list of goals to organize the house. I have a hubby whom is a pack rat. I will go thru our clothes and get rid of worn out stuff. He will put it in the tool shed because I don't go there. lol  Right now I am trying to choose right colors for the house. We need all new flooring and I wish I could redo the 2 bathrooms. The kitchen sink is leaking and needs replacement it is just 10 years old. No washers type. I would love a backwash for it. I am going to Loews for ideas.

LeJane
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:56 PM

It is amazing how much we can accomplish when we have to.     Having company over is a great motivator to get things done.     

Sometimes we get busy or don't feel well and it doesn't take long for things to go sideways.    

One helpful thing for me is to never leave the room I am working on until it is done.   I keep a laundry basket at the door for amy items I want to remove from room.   I also use a basket to gather up anything out of place.    Once the odd items are together it is easy to take the basket around to whatever area and put things where you want them.   It saves alot of excess running around and simplifies projects.    

EireLass
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I've been an organized person for a very long life. I grew up in chaos, and realized that 'stuff' can be chaos in our minds. So by eliminating alot of stuff, you eliminate the chaos feeling. I have only a few things in storage....things I haven't decided what to do with. Only a couple boxes and a couple pieces of furniture. These are a result of moving to this house, not sure if I want these things or not. Typically if I go all 4 seasons without touching something....it's obvious I don't need it. When I get dressed and I pull something out of the closet, if it doesn't fit, it goes to Good Will. I don't try to fool myself into thinking it will fit again. I don't like having to hunt for things, so I like things in their place.

nana9106
by Darlene on Sep. 4, 2012 at 2:01 PM

My Dh is a pack-rat, he would keep useless stuff forever if I would let him. So while I am cleaning once a week I put his useless treasures in the garage on a shelf, if he asks for a particular thing I get it out of the garage for him (so he doesnt see the other useless stuff, after 30 days of non-use i toss it. If he asks for it after that time I lie and say I never saw it. I donate clothes we don't wear about once a month too.

The only thing I have issue with is mail...bank statements and such...I don't like to toss those but I have no idea what to do with them, as a result I have boxes of mail in the garage taking up space :-/

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I'm in the process of taking my spare bedroom and turning it into a play and craft room for me and my grandchildren.That way all their craft stuff thats setting in t he corner of my dining room will be out of sight and their toys won't wander from their bedroom all through the house. Also have to go through their clothes as well mine and DH's to get rid what dosen't fit any more or is just cluttering up the closets.

And I'm such a pack rat I hate to get rid of anything.But have slowly been going through bags and boxes and just pitching it out.  We actually have room for one of our vehicles to actually fit into the garage.lol  Plus with DD not living here anymore her stuff is gone also. 

homeskoolmama
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I hate clutter and had a pretty clutter free home until last week when my sissy came and dumped all her crap here. NOW it is cluttering my home, mind and health. Gotta get rid of it soon.

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:20 AM

I can't stand messes, they stress and distract me, so I try to keep my home as neat as possible.  My husband is pretty neat, but he does have piles of stuff down in the den which he has promised to clean out.  Cassidy is a slob, as so many that age are, so we have battles about her bedroom and her bathroom. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:38 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Lots of all clean up & decluttering !
So much no idea where to start ::blush::

Join us at
Time Out for You

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)