Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Working and school

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 11:10 PM
  • 16 Replies

Just thought I'd share.

As some of you know, my youngest daughter is in her second year of college. This year she wanted to live off campus and 2 of her roommates and another friend got a place off campus. She decided to go back 4 weeks before school started because she felt guilty about the apt. sitting idle but also wanted to start lookiing for part-time job.

She found a job at a sports bar and has been doing really well. Her biggest issue is getting "hit" on by older men, some as old as her father and what to do about it. She said she's playing the "ditz card" when they ask for her number. Instead of coming off snarking or curt, she writes the order and when asked by someone she doesn't want to give her number will say something like "did you say you wanted a salad with that?"

Today when we were talking she told me that men in their 30's were asking instead of the older guys now. She's holding out for younger guys next week, lol.

by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shellness
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 11:13 PM

My daughter's tell me they like the males their ages but can't stand older men for this very reason. Its awful they have to feel this way.

rosebud727
by Rose on Sep. 16, 2012 at 11:17 PM

The older men usually have money to tip though. She loves those tips! If it was me, I would probably lose the tip. I'm not good with that kind of situation.

Quoting Shellness:

My daughter's tell me they like the males their ages but can't stand older men for this very reason. Its awful they have to feel this way.

CoeyG
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Gee she must be a ditz...All she has to say is "I don't give my number ut to customers" and leave it at that.  I have a friend who's daughter used to work at Hooters before she graduated with a law degree..."If I gave you my number I'd have to give it to your wife as well for when she wanted to fiel for divorce"  As far as the older men "hitting" on here, men have been doing so since the dawn of time.  a lot of them are just flirtatiouss...the more she flirts back the bigger her tips will be.  

rosebud727
by Rose on Sep. 16, 2012 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I expect snarly  replies from you and but no...she's not a ditz. She makes excellent tips because she's not smartmouthing the customers.

Quoting CoeyG:

Gee she must be a ditz...All she has to say is "I don't give my number ut to customers" and leave it at that.  I have a friend who's daughter used to work at Hooters before she graduated with a law degree..."If I gave you my number I'd have to give it to your wife as well for when she wanted to fiel for divorce"

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:11 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Love her response, LOL
Sounds like she has a great head on her shoulders & knows what she can & can't get away with :)

Quoting rosebud727:

Just thought I'd share.

As some of you know, my youngest daughter is in her second year of college. This year she wanted to live off campus and 2 of her roommates and another friend got a place off campus. She decided to go back 4 weeks before school started because she felt guilty about the apt. sitting idle but also wanted to start lookiing for part-time job.

She found a job at a sports bar and has been doing really well. Her biggest issue is getting "hit" on by older men, some as old as her father and what to do about it. She said she's playing the "ditz card" when they ask for her number. Instead of coming off snarking or curt, she writes the order and when asked by someone she doesn't want to give her number will say something like "did you say you wanted a salad with that?"

Today when we were talking she told me that men in their 30's were asking instead of the older guys now. She's holding out for younger guys next week, lol.

Join us at
Time Out for You

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I remember being a pretty young thing, and men of all ages just thought they could flirt, as if I wanted someone my dad's age.  Gag.   She is in a difficult place, not wanting to offend customers, but not encouraging the horny old creeps either.    She could always smile and say, "if I went out with you, I would have to date all the customers who asked me, and I am going to school and just don't have time.  Thanks for asking though".   She sounds like a young lady who is able to take care of herself.  

rosebud727
by Rose on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I think she has a few non-tip buster comments that she uses. She's a great girl, every place she has worked really loves her because she just has really good people skills. It will help with the profession she's interested in which is Physical Therapy.

Quoting DesignGirl450:

I remember being a pretty young thing, and men of all ages just thought they could flirt, as if I wanted someone my dad's age.  Gag.   She is in a difficult place, not wanting to offend customers, but not encouraging the horny old creeps either.    She could always smile and say, "if I went out with you, I would have to date all the customers who asked me, and I am going to school and just don't have time.  Thanks for asking though".   She sounds like a young lady who is able to take care of herself.  

Why123
by Nancy on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

She could always tell them that if she gave them her number she could lose her job and they wouldn't want that to happen would they?

Esmrlda
by Esme on Sep. 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I really cant stand the way I see men look at waitress. Or think they can just reach out and grab some ass. Like they are just a piece of meat.  What is it with men and servers?

nana9106
by Darlene on Sep. 17, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Sounds like she is handling herself very well. But she should stick with the college guys...better future :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN