Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Kids at college

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:19 AM
  • 25 Replies

Both my daughters are away at college and I miss them dearly. But what has made it more difficult is that I recently lost my job so I have too much time on my hands!!

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh wow.  I'd go nuts if I lost my job!  Fortunately for me, while my son was 1800 miles away for college, I maintained 3 jobs (one full time and 2 part time) because I sent him money each month for rent, food, etc.  I didn't find myself very often with too much time on my hands!   He graduate this past June and now I don't need to send him $$ - and I'm still working these 3 jobs.  LOL. 

I hope you find something quickly! 

GiGi2958
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Thank you for your reply. I have had a difficult couple of years and now losing my job has sent me into a serious depression (I am getting help for this). I can't seem to get my self to rebound.  I really don't want to sound pathetic because I know that others have had it much worse then I.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I have found that voicing my woes, venting my frustrations and sharing my excitement here in this group has been an AWESOME help to me!   Please feel free to share.  There are lots of moms here who have been in a similar situation.  Welcome to our group!

Quoting GiGi2958:

Thank you for your reply. I have had a difficult couple of years and now losing my job has sent me into a serious depression (I am getting help for this). I can't seem to get my self to rebound.  I really don't want to sound pathetic because I know that others have had it much worse then I.

GiGi2958
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Thanks! That is what I was hoping for.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Find something to fill those empty hours with, maybe do some volunteering (which could turn into a job if that is what you are seeking), take a class in something that interests you, join an exercise group.  There are many various ways to keep yourself busy and absorbed in something.  We are here for you to vent to any time.

Why123
by Nancy on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

You could try going back to school.  Mine has help for displaced workers to start a different career.  Check out what your local schools have.

CoeyG
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Try being disabled and not able to go to work period.  My daughter lives in Texas, I live in PA.  

Esmrlda
by Esme on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Maybe volunteer somewhere.

caro100
by Carol on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Colleen this isn't a competition who has it rougher.  You win hands down.  We are needing to help her with coping and finding some different creative outlets.  Smile Colleen. LOL

Quoting CoeyG:

Try being disabled and not able to go to work period.  My daughter lives in Texas, I live in PA.  

CoeyG
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

If you can afford it sign up for classes at a local community college or adult education center.  You don't have to be going for a degree, just something that interests you.  If you belong to a church volnteer there, get involved with the women's groups within the church.  Join a gym.  The YMCA has adult team sports as well as inividual exercises, aqua aerobics, tredmills, even weights.  Take up a sport, golf, bowling, even archery.  Volunteer in soup kitchens, homeless shelters, hospitals, etc.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)