Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Do you feel old enough to be a grandmother? I don't. I am one but don't feel it, I guess that is a good thing. 

However, I am not called grandma, grandmama, MiMi, Memaw or anything else. My mom keeps the baby more than she is home and I don't live there. The birth mother...well she doesn't do much. The baby belongs to my son and since I did not raise him, we aren't close close. It's a long sad complicated story.

I  love my grand baby very much. She will be 2 on Saturday and I've been invited to the party. I just hate going and watching everyone else get called, mom, dad, grandma, grand daddy, sissy and I'm just "Dawn" sigh......

Oh well, you reap what you sow. Guess I should be happy just to be part of her life. It is just depressing to me that she doesn't call me MiMi.

Now that my dribble is over.....

Are you a grandmother? Do you feel old enough? How old were you when your first grandbaby was born??

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
jabs54
by Jeanine on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I was 49 when I became a grandma (I'm 58 now).  I'm so sorry you are not close to your granddaughter :(   I feel old as I have bad knees and limp when I stand up.  I think I look old too, no gray hair but wrinkles :(

jurnee14
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I would make up a special name just for you! I became a grandma at 40. I have 2 grandsons

DysphoniaBec
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Quoting louannwilkins:

In my mind I definitely don't feel my age.  It's only when I look in the mirror or at a pic that I see the truth!  LOL 

I'm the same way.  In my head I'm in my 40's, but not when I look in the mirror.  My oldest DGD is 27 (she was by my 2nd child).  DGD's oldest is 10.  I've even had 5 other Greats.

boys2men2soon
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I am a step grandma to 3 little darlings.     They don't call me anything.  Lol.   My step daughter was adamently against them calling me Grandma until last year.   Now, she wants me to get closer to the children and has asked what I want to be called.    I don't care what they call me, whatever they are comfortable with is fine.

My own children do not have children, yet.   Thank Goodness!   At 22 and 18, they are not ready and neither am I!!!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I am old enough but don't have any grand kids yet :(

gma3mom5
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I was 42 when I first became a grandma.......am now 48 and have the 3 cutest grandkids:)  The youngest calls me Mamaw. 

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Yep I'm deffinitly a Grandma!  Granddaughter was born when I was 48 and grandson when 52 and now I'm 56yo!   I wish I could act like a Grandma but since I've raised GD and had GS 99% of the time I feel more like the Mom!  Especially since I'm the one who has them for the week and they see their parents on the weekend!  

But I love that I get to spend so much time with them and get to see them grow up and share everyday joys and tears! 

I think I would talk to your son and see if he would mind if your GD called Mimi or whatever you agreed on.  If he wants you to be in their lives he should understand,just explain to him how you feel,you might be suprised.  Good luck!

gmadiane
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:53 AM

I am a very proud grandma and I dont feel old enough to be one, most times if I am out with them people think I am mom and not grandma, I was 41 when my first one was born and within 2 years I became a grandma to 5

terri-553
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:20 AM

I was 40 I am thinking when Jason was born he is almost 14,I will be 55 next year,eary part of the year,Hecalls me Guke,Thomas is almost ten,Taylor is 7 they both call me Grandma well Taylor Jo calls me Mom most of the time,Victoria isn;t talking Makena says Grandma.thw twins say NInnie

Des10ed2b
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

i am not a grandma yet, but i am a great-aunt...at 27. lol. i definitely dont feel old enough! my poor mom is a great-grandma at 55! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)