Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Do you feel old enough to be a grandmother? I don't. I am one but don't feel it, I guess that is a good thing. 

However, I am not called grandma, grandmama, MiMi, Memaw or anything else. My mom keeps the baby more than she is home and I don't live there. The birth mother...well she doesn't do much. The baby belongs to my son and since I did not raise him, we aren't close close. It's a long sad complicated story.

I  love my grand baby very much. She will be 2 on Saturday and I've been invited to the party. I just hate going and watching everyone else get called, mom, dad, grandma, grand daddy, sissy and I'm just "Dawn" sigh......

Oh well, you reap what you sow. Guess I should be happy just to be part of her life. It is just depressing to me that she doesn't call me MiMi.

Now that my dribble is over.....

Are you a grandmother? Do you feel old enough? How old were you when your first grandbaby was born??

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:03 PM
Replies (21-30):
coolbreeze0717
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM
I'm 53 & have one grandchild who will be 9 in a couple of weeks. My daughter was 18 when she had him. He calls me Grandma. I don't see him very often because they live in Calif & I live in Missouri. I love him very much & he always knows who I am. But I don't "feel" like a grandmother. Kinda weird.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:57 AM

You can ask the little one to call you by the grandma name that you want, can't you?  I feel sad, too, that I don't get to see my grandchildren nearly as much as I'd like to.

Quoting homeskoolmama:

Do you feel old enough to be a grandmother? I don't. I am one but don't feel it, I guess that is a good thing. 

However, I am not called grandma, grandmama, MiMi, Memaw or anything else. My mom keeps the baby more than she is home and I don't live there. The birth mother...well she doesn't do much. The baby belongs to my son and since I did not raise him, we aren't close close. It's a long sad complicated story.

I  love my grand baby very much. She will be 2 on Saturday and I've been invited to the party. I just hate going and watching everyone else get called, mom, dad, grandma, grand daddy, sissy and I'm just "Dawn" sigh......

Oh well, you reap what you sow. Guess I should be happy just to be part of her life. It is just depressing to me that she doesn't call me MiMi.

Now that my dribble is over.....

Are you a grandmother? Do you feel old enough? How old were you when your first grandbaby was born??

Why123
by Nancy on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I became a grandma at 44.  She is now 21.  There are days when I definitely feel old.  My 19 year old grandson has a baby and I think that there is another on the way.  If you want to be called something else just tell them.

KittyGram
by Becky on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I found out just 9 days before my 40th birthday that I was going to be a grandma for the first time.  Back then, yeah, I felt like I was too young.  Not just that, but although my daughter was a little bit older than I was when I had her, SHE wasn't old enough (i.e. "mature enough") to be a mom.  I think that was the biggest reason that I didn't feel old enough.

Now that my granddaughter is almost 9, and I'm approaching 50, yeah, now I feel like I'm old enough.  I feel it every day!!!  Knees, back, hips....... 

At 1 1/2, Ramona dubbed me "KittyMomma", which has since evolved into "Kitty Gramma".  I'll always be "Kitty Gramma", they tell me, even when they are teenagers!  Oliver has trouble with the "K" and the "Gr" sounds, so it comes out "Titty Damma"!  LOL!!!!

homeskoolmama
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Well my oldest is 25 so I get your point

Quoting sahlady:

oh hell no... Im 44 and would be pissed off since my oldest is only 17.

homeskoolmama
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Long story, my parents raised J from 2 on up. I did not see him from 2-10 and then only once or twice a year until he was 16. NOT my choice

I understand my mom keeps her almost everyday and J calls her mom, so it is natural for the baby to call her grandma and I'm not trying to deny her that. I just wish I were something more than "dawn" ya know?

Quoting louannwilkins:

In my mind I definitely don't feel my age.  It's only when I look in the mirror or at a pic that I see the truth!  LOL 

I'm sorry you don't get called anything.  I think it's kind of odd either way since you are in his life now and in his dd.  I mean, if he didn't have you around then maybe I could see it.  Was he around your mom?  Not trying to pry.....

homeskoolmama
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Well you don't look 53, however, who knows what 53 looks like these days with botox and surgery. NOT that you have, just saying that when I was little 53 was old. Now 63 is not old with surgery or good genes.

My boys friends call me MamaDawn, it has been this way for years, so I thought since my mom is grandma maybe I could be MiMi but no one agrees. So........ugh

Quoting suzeebloch:

why can't she call you something?  Maybe a special name just for you! 

I'm 53 and not a grandma yet.  When guys ask me how old I am (I date a lot) I ask them first how old they think I am.  They usually guess 35 to 45 but never 53.  lol. 

homeskoolmama
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I'll be there Saturday for the party, IF I get a chance to, I think I will...what's the worst that can happen?

Quoting kuntrylady56:

Yep I'm deffinitly a Grandma!  Granddaughter was born when I was 48 and grandson when 52 and now I'm 56yo!   I wish I could act like a Grandma but since I've raised GD and had GS 99% of the time I feel more like the Mom!  Especially since I'm the one who has them for the week and they see their parents on the weekend!  

But I love that I get to spend so much time with them and get to see them grow up and share everyday joys and tears! 

I think I would talk to your son and see if he would mind if your GD called Mimi or whatever you agreed on.  If he wants you to be in their lives he should understand,just explain to him how you feel,you might be suprised.  Good luck!

homeskoolmama
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:47 PM

wow someone was busy! lol

Quoting gmadiane:

I am a very proud grandma and I dont feel old enough to be one, most times if I am out with them people think I am mom and not grandma, I was 41 when my first one was born and within 2 years I became a grandma to 5

homeskoolmama
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:49 PM

haha I guess you just answer to anything then if they are all around. That is sweet that each has a name for you.

Quoting terri-553:

I was 40 I am thinking when Jason was born he is almost 14,I will be 55 next year,eary part of the year,Hecalls me Guke,Thomas is almost ten,Taylor is 7 they both call me Grandma well Taylor Jo calls me Mom most of the time,Victoria isn;t talking Makena says Grandma.thw twins say NInnie

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)