Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Do you feel old enough to be a grandmother? I don't. I am one but don't feel it, I guess that is a good thing. 

However, I am not called grandma, grandmama, MiMi, Memaw or anything else. My mom keeps the baby more than she is home and I don't live there. The birth mother...well she doesn't do much. The baby belongs to my son and since I did not raise him, we aren't close close. It's a long sad complicated story.

I  love my grand baby very much. She will be 2 on Saturday and I've been invited to the party. I just hate going and watching everyone else get called, mom, dad, grandma, grand daddy, sissy and I'm just "Dawn" sigh......

Oh well, you reap what you sow. Guess I should be happy just to be part of her life. It is just depressing to me that she doesn't call me MiMi.

Now that my dribble is over.....

Are you a grandmother? Do you feel old enough? How old were you when your first grandbaby was born??

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:03 PM
Replies (31-38):
homeskoolmama
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:52 PM

That's hysterical!! The baby has only been to my house once and she was only 3 months old then, she would not know to call me KittyGramma! Since I have 3 but she doesn't know it. She loves to look at the kitties on my phone and the chickens. 

I don't feel old enough in my mind and heart but my body, OH YEAH

Guess I'm just have a case of the whines! I should just be glad to part of their lives I guess.

Quoting KittyGram:

I found out just 9 days before my 40th birthday that I was going to be a grandma for the first time.  Back then, yeah, I felt like I was too young.  Not just that, but although my daughter was a little bit older than I was when I had her, SHE wasn't old enough (i.e. "mature enough") to be a mom.  I think that was the biggest reason that I didn't feel old enough.

Now that my granddaughter is almost 9, and I'm approaching 50, yeah, now I feel like I'm old enough.  I feel it every day!!!  Knees, back, hips....... 

At 1 1/2, Ramona dubbed me "KittyMomma", which has since evolved into "Kitty Gramma".  I'll always be "Kitty Gramma", they tell me, even when they are teenagers!  Oliver has trouble with the "K" and the "Gr" sounds, so it comes out "Titty Damma"!  LOL!!!!

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I am not a grandma but my DD and DS are technically old enough to make me one.

I do not feel my age AT ALL. I just turned 40.

stepof5
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I found out in July that I'm going to be a grandma in March. I am 47 and feel too young probably because I've only been married to DH 7 years and our daughter is 2. SD is 22 and got pregnant with a friend. She wants to keep the baby and biodad is being supportive. We met him for the first time last night. We hope for the best!

Shellness
by Michell on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I'm not a Granny yet but can't wait to be. You should talk to your son and ask if the baby could call you Mimi. Maybe he would be ok with it.

lynked
by Linda on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I was a grandma the first time at 39.  Now, at 67, I'm grandma to 9, I have 1 grand-angel and 4 great-grands.

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I am 62, and not a grandmother.  My daughter is 20, and I hope she doesn't settle down and have kids for a long time.  

njt320
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:09 PM
I am grandma @ 50 but they just broke up and I still get to see my grand baby!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lisamarie1265
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:49 PM
I am not a grandma yet, I will however be a Great Aunt in a matter of a few weeks, my niece Lauren 26, is due soon... Saturday is her shower..cannot wait. My mom was a Grandma at 42 she didn't look like a grandma or act like one.. In fact once we went out to lunch when Jess was an infant and the waitress complimented my Mom on her beautiful daughter.. Ma looked so proud I just smiled and kept my mouth shut lol. She liked being called grandma, I won't mind it either I think it's an honor .. I don't like when women want to be called something different I knew one lady who insisted her grandchildren call her Mom Sue ????? What??? That's creepy..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)