Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Do you have something that you have held onto?

Posted by   + Show Post

Dh's grandpa has been in every war. He was a PoW for awhile in Vietnam and so were some of his friends. One friend has never returned.   Grandpa has been holding onto the missing mans belongings just in case the man shows up one day at this door step. 

come home

I was organizing the storage area and came across some of dd's baby clothes and an outfit that she was baptised in, a pair of sandals, a bib, an cute dress, an old doll.    I looked at them and asked my self why am I holding on to these things. They arent even in that good of shape.   I no longer felt sentimental towards them.  So what did I do, I put them into another box that I will go through at a later date.

Is there something that you are holding onto? Why are you holding onto it?  What is something that you really should get rid of?

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM
Replies (21-30):
AleaKat
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:25 PM
My mothers pearl earrings her father gave her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Esmrlda
by Esme on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Thats a shame about the flood and what a mess!

Quoting LadySaphira:

I have a couple things that I "inherited" when my grandmother (some avon pins) and my great aunt passed away. I used to have a few things fro when my kids were little but they were destroyed when my mom's garage got flooded (3+ ft of water).

Esmrlda
by Esme on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:29 PM

LOL thats sweet! 

Quoting CoeyG:

I have held on to my Pink Teddy Bear, although after 56 years it isn't very pink any longer LOL

Esmrlda
by Esme on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:31 PM

What a great story! I cant believe that you have worn it for that many years.  Too bad you cant remember who gave it to you. Does it say anything on it?  I remember the bicentennial. 

Quoting suzeebloch:

I was an exchange student to Brazil in 1976 when I was 17.  I missed the Bicentennial!   A friend gave me a bracelet she bought from a street vendor.  She told me as long as I wore the bracelet we'd be friends.  I have been wearing it ever since.  Of course, I can't remember who gave it to me!  I took it to a jeweler recently who said it is gold-plated.  It has never tarnished and is such a part of me I don't really notice it being there; however, it has slipped off a few times and I almost immediately notice when it's gone!

Esmrlda
by Esme on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Those are things that cannot ever be replaced and are priceless. 

I have dwindled things down to one box for me and one box for dd.  I do regret giving away her stuffed Orangutan named Olly.  I do miss him. LOL

Quoting jurnee14:

I have all my kids christening gowns, and some baby blankets. I have my oldest daughters first pair of walking shoes. I also kept for a while a half box of tissues, that my  father, in the hours leading up to his death was holding onto, because there was something important in there, he kept saying. I kept those in my nightstand fof a few months after he died. I also wear my grandmothers wedding band. i have a box for each kid too, with awards and special projects through out the yrs. 

caro100
by Carol on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:35 PM

yes, I still have some of the kids old halloween costumes that they're grandmother made for them.

Esmrlda
by Esme on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Oh how neat!  Are the dishes china?  I bet the quilts are exquisite, do you use them or are they put away?

I have a set of dishes that were my paternal grandmothers.  It is the only thing I have of hers.

Quoting jabs54:

I have quite a few dishes etc. from my grandparents/great grandparents.  Quilts my mother made.  My mothers wedding dress.  My grandparents marriage certificate.  My dad's wallet.  An antique jailhouse key my dad had from the courthouse in Madison.  I saved a few blankets and clothes from my babies.

Esmrlda
by Esme on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I have two totes full of skinny clothes that I dwindled down to this and dd didnt want.  I am hoping I can fit into them soon.....fingers crossed

Quoting hugss:

Too many clothes for sure ::blush::

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM

thank you.  nothing written on it.  It's just a thin piece of metal (no more than 1/8" in diameter) that wraps neatly around my wrist and is gold-plated.  It's simple and unique.  Yeah, I can hardly believe I've been wearing it this long, either.  It's outlasted 2 wedding rings!   Now if I could just remember who gave it to me ....

Quoting Esmrlda:

What a great story! I cant believe that you have worn it for that many years.  Too bad you cant remember who gave it to you. Does it say anything on it?  I remember the bicentennial. 

Quoting suzeebloch:

I was an exchange student to Brazil in 1976 when I was 17.  I missed the Bicentennial!   A friend gave me a bracelet she bought from a street vendor.  She told me as long as I wore the bracelet we'd be friends.  I have been wearing it ever since.  Of course, I can't remember who gave it to me!  I took it to a jeweler recently who said it is gold-plated.  It has never tarnished and is such a part of me I don't really notice it being there; however, it has slipped off a few times and I almost immediately notice when it's gone!

Esmrlda
by Esme on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Maybe they have your moms energy on them. I bet she used them alot and touched them almost daily so when you touch them you can feel her energy and the peace they used to bring to her.   That is really priceless.

Quoting nsparky1964:

i have 2 things that regardless of what i take when i run away from home i always take...both from my mom, and the items that i feel closest to my mom with...1, is mom's book of common prayer..she was given it back in 1947...and the other is mom's rosary...funny, im not even religious, but those 2 things center me...maybe cuz mom cherished them?

You havent ran away yet? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)