Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

My adventures in the work force

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM
  • 19 Replies

My new job; its dead. There's not a lot of business. I love the peacefulness of it but its not going to last. The lady who owns it put it on the market. I don't want it. Its in a bad location.

I'm too old for this. Its frustrating but I'm taking it lightly. I refuse to worry. Worrying is against my beliefs. Now I need to figure out what I want to do. I'm thinking about a change!

What would be fun and not too physical? Maybe I should get the certifications to watch babies. I do love babies. That idea came to me just this second. Funny!

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Esmrlda
by Esme on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Maybe you should! 

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry your job is not what you hoped for.  Changing career paths is always a challenge and one that I have done a few times.  I went to school, became an RN and worked in a trauma unit for several years and then decided I would like a less stressful job so I moved to a resort town on the Oregoncoast and became of all things a bartender - a real change from badly injured patients.  And while that was great fun for awhile, I knew it was not a career choice.  Moving to Alaska to a logging camp, I became the camp medic.  Returning to the lower 48, I initially planned on going back to nursing but instead accepted a position as office manager of a large legal firm which was interesting, lucrative and I met lots of interesting people but I was drawn back to nursing.  And there I stayed until retirement.  I do think you should do whatever it is you enjoy doing and if child care is what you would find fulfilling, then more power to you.  Good luck on whatever you decide.

Why123
by Nancy on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I started college when I turned 40.  I had a vague idea what I wanted to do.  I didn't do what I had planned.  I stayed at the college because I love it here.  What I like about my jobs here is that they are always changing and expanding.  You are not too old to start on a new path.  Try all kinds of different things and then do what makes you happy.

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I agree. Forge your own path. You are never too old to do anything.

Quoting Why123:

I started college when I turned 40.  I had a vague idea what I wanted to do.  I didn't do what I had planned.  I stayed at the college because I love it here.  What I like about my jobs here is that they are always changing and expanding.  You are not too old to start on a new path.  Try all kinds of different things and then do what makes you happy.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Oh no, I'm sorry.  Are there no other florists in town?  What do you mean by watching babies?  In your home or being a nanny?

CoeyG
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Telephone customer service/data entry isn't too physical.  I'm not talking telemarketing our outbound calling.  I mean inbound calling like for answering questions about insurance or finances.  You can work with insurance companies from one end of the spectrum to the other.  I have worked enrolling new clients, I have worked in eligibility, billing even claim approval.  My last position I worked with Prudential retirement systems and did everything from setting up loans on 401s to setting up splitting of accounts in divorce cases.  

homeskoolmama
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:15 PM

If you love them, do it. I am not a baby person, well no one elses babies. I loved mine but I have never been a baby sitter.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
9 minutes ago
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:29 AM

That would be fun .. how many would you want to watch at one time?
Go for it :)

louannwilkins
by Louann on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:02 AM

I'm sorry about the job and I know it has to be frustrating and disappointing.  I think you should just explore whatever you're interested in.  If watching kids appeals to you then you should check it out.  Good luck and I'm sure you'll do a great job with whatever you decide.  Be sure to let us know.    :)

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Hey watching babies is not a bad idea.  My ex mother in law did that in her home - she only took newborns until they started crawling, so the babies slept in cribs or played in playpens or sat in the johnny-jump up or swing.  I think she had like 4 babies at one time.  I thought of doing this, too, when I was still working at home doing the typing full time - I mean how hard can it be?  Especially if you don't have any crawling or walking babies?  A lot of daycares won't take newborns so that would be a plus for a lot of working families.  I looked into it but my apartment only has a front door and in my town the code says you have to have a minumum of 2 exits. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)