Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Oct 3 QOTD

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:29 PM
  • 36 Replies

QOTD = question of the day

Do you love modern technology or do you long for the good old days of porch visits, letter writing, calling and speaking to a person at a business?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
homeskoolmama
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:30 PM
2 moms liked this

As much as I love being able to text, email, surf the web, I do long for letters in the mail, phone calls, porch visits and customer service. I hate calling and getting a recording and having to press nine numbers to be on hold for "the next available representative" OR worse, press 1 for English! Really?!?!

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I like both. I love the technology with out it I wouldn't have CM.

But I do miss the "good ole" days when businesses closed at 5pm on Sunday, if they even opened at all.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:52 PM

A combination of both...I hate having to press a million numbers when making a phone call. I miss the days wher neighbors  had porch vivsits and you would get something other than bills and advertisements in the mail.

homeskoolmama
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Yeah, I guess we throw away several pounds of paper a month, all in junk mail.

Quoting LadySaphira:

A combination of both...I hate having to press a million numbers when making a phone call. I miss the days wher neighbors  had porch vivsits and you would get something other than bills and advertisements in the mail.

homeskoolmama
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Where I grew up, nothing was open on Sunday and if so they were few and far between. On Saturdays from 7 am to 1 pm. During the week things closed at 5 or 6 and early on Fridays. Funny how things change.

Quoting Cindy18:

But I do miss the "good ole" days when businesses closed at 5pm on Sunday, if they even opened at all.

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I like both.  I enjoyed sitting on the porch, and writing and receiving letters, and having a person pick up the phone.  But having the Internet makes the world my front porch, and email makes letter sending very fast.  It is frustrating to have to sit through long phone trees though.

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I get very little junk mail now, some, but not as much as before. I filled out some form with the post office.

Quoting homeskoolmama:

Yeah, I guess we throw away several pounds of paper a month, all in junk mail.

Quoting LadySaphira:

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I made a comment like "I wonder if such and such is even open today" on a Sunday and my kids looked at me like I had 3 heads!

Quoting homeskoolmama:

Where I grew up, nothing was open on Sunday and if so they were few and far between. On Saturdays from 7 am to 1 pm. During the week things closed at 5 or 6 and early on Fridays. Funny how things change.

Quoting Cindy18:

homeskoolmama
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

haha yeah, we had a similar conversation recently and my 18 yo looked at me and said "MOM I didn't think you were that old"

oh my, really?!?! sigh

Quoting Cindy18:

I made a comment like "I wonder if such and such is even open today" on a Sunday and my kids looked at me like I had 3 heads!

Quoting homeskoolmama:

Quoting Cindy18:

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I gnash my teeth when the company says please give us the following information to help us serve you better.  State your name (there is a pause and as soon as you open your mouth to state your name, the recording continues with and example, for example, John Doe),  state your account number (pause, and then the recording gives another example), state your addresse (pause, etc) and then when you finally get a rep, they ask all the same questions anyway. grrrrr.

Quoting homeskoolmama:

As much as I love being able to text, email, surf the web, I do long for letters in the mail, phone calls, porch visits and customer service. I hate calling and getting a recording and having to press nine numbers to be on hold for "the next available representative" OR worse, press 1 for English! Really?!?!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)