Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

I'm going to kill my kitty

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:04 PM
  • 7 Replies

She is between 4 and 5 months old. 

I have made her an appointment to get spayed next Thursday. 

BUT she is acting a FOOL, to put it lightly. I am hoping this behavior is because of the hormones racing through her little body! If not I don't know what I'm going to do. 

She has not gone in heat yet. 

She is pooping all over the house. I keep the box super clean all the time now. She is jumping on the counters. She never did this before. She is being BAD about it. I sprayed her right in her little face with the sink sprayer today after putting her down 3 times in a row. (it worked haha) and gave me a sense of satisfaction to boot!!

I just walked in my bedroom and found the book I am reading on the bed with the cover ripped off. 

I'm going to hurt her, I swear. 

She's peeved about not getting to go outside too but I'm scared for her to. She is just now old enough to get her rabies shot. We have lots of racoons too. They would hurt her! I live on a busy street. 

I hope she calms down after next week. What can I expect from the surgery standpoint? Will I have to keep her caged? How long does it take to heal?

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I'd confine her to a small room with the potty box, food and water until she uses the potty box reliably. Preferably a small room with a floor that is easy to clean if she has an accident.

I would NOT let her out of the house either. She'll get used to being an indoor cat eventually. Letting her out is irresponsible IMO.

Kittens are trouble. They are busy. They don't know the rules nor do they want to learn them. What they want to do is explore, play and hunt. So just like with a small child you have to set the rules and enforce them every single time. Eventually they follow them. With age they calm down but it will be years yet.

Can't help you with the surgery. Mine are 8 and 14 so it's too long ago for me to remember.

Shellness
by Michell on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for your comment :) I have had kitties before but they were males. They did not do this. 

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I'd confine her to a small room with the potty box, food and water until she uses the potty box reliably. Preferably a small room with a floor that is easy to clean if she has an accident.

I would NOT let her out of the house either. She'll get used to being an indoor cat eventually. Letting her out is irresponsible IMO.

Kittens are trouble. They are busy. They don't know the rules nor do they want to learn them. What they want to do is explore, play and hunt. So just like with a small child you have to set the rules and enforce them every single time. Eventually they follow them. With age they calm down but it will be years yet.

Can't help you with the surgery. Mine are 8 and 14 so it's too long ago for me to remember.

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:16 PM

The surgery should be fairly simple for as young as she is.  But make sure she is not in heat when she goes in because it is harder on them when they are.  My last kitten I had spayed was in heat and  I really didn't wan to have it done because I heard if they were in heat when they got spayed they would act like they were in heat from then on.  Which is not true.  But since they're in heat it like us being on out period ,except theirs is preparing for them to get inpregnanted.   So there is more blood flow to that area. And makes surgery a little more rough for them.  Mine went and hid in the closet for three days after i brought her home.  I actually thought she might die.  But she would eat and use her litter box.  But it took her quite a bit longer to recuperate them my other females did.

Normally the vet will tell you to keep them quiet for a day or so,but animals usually know how far they can go with their bodies and how it feels/hurts ect. And they'll sleep a little more then normal the first day or so.  But mine were back to there normal crazy selves usually no longer then the 2nd or 3rd day.   

And hopefuly she will calm down after getting her spayed. It sounds like she acting like a overactive teenager. lol  You could also maybe think of getting her  a playmate to be occupied with instead of tearig up your home when shes bored.  And cats especially do better when they have a playmate and friend. 

Hope this helped and I wish you luck with your little evil one. :)

boy n girlfrom me and mine

jabs54
by Jeanine on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I've never had a cat act like that.  The only bad thing my last cat did was attack us when we walked by, lol.  Hope you can figure out what's going on.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Hope she does settle down after the surgery :)

nana9106
by Darlene on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:18 AM
That's crazy! She is young and possibly the hormones are messing with her mind. Hopefully the surgery will settle her down some.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:23 AM

I always smile when the vet says to keep them quiet for a few days. Unless you put them in a cage they are going to jump and run as much as they feel like.

Your kitty will probably settle down in time.  The jumping behavior sounds like my kittens, but the pooping sounds like a protest about something. Maybe she doesn't like the kind of litter or where the box is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)