Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Recipe of the Day .....10/8/12

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:42 AM
  • 9 Replies

It's sooooo cold here in the D.

SHARE YOUR FAVORITE CHILI RECIPE.

This is one of those things I don't follow a recipe for.So this is a hodge podge of what I do for chili

1-2 lbs ground meat (beef or turkey)

1 diced onion

2 cans chili beans or dark kidney beans

1 can diced tomatoes

1 can tomato sauce

1 jar favorite salsa

chili powder

Brown the meat and onion, Drain. Mix everything else in the crock pot on high for 6-8 hours.

I love to serve this with corn muffins. You can also serve with corn chips, grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, oyster crackers, whatever you like on your chili.

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lisamarie1265
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:00 AM
I don't really make chili, but yours sounds yummie I like the idea of the salsa sounds like it would add a kick do you use mild, medium, hot???? Just curious!! Yours seems like a nice easy recipe perfect for a cold fall day, and i love using my crock pot on those days...is it ok to borrow it ??? Have a great Monday : - )
Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:32 AM
Of course you can borrow it! That's why I post them. I love sharing recipes. I mostly use a medium salsa, but you can use whatever your favorite is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KittyGram
by Becky on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I brown ground beef with onion, garlic, and green pepper (diced), then add 3 cans of Del Monte diced tomatoes, seasoned for chili, plus 2 cans light red kidney beans, plus a little sugar, chili powder, salt, pepper, and a pinch of cayenne, and let it cook for about an hour.  Serve it over elbow mac, with cheese and diced onion on top.   

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM
  • Cook dry pinto beans in the crock pot for about 4-5 hours, making sure water levels are at least 3 inches above the beans.
  • Add in chili powder, salt and garlic powder to taste
  • An hour to an hour and half before the dry  pinto beans are fully cooked, add into the crock pot dried kidney beans
  • In a separate pan, brown ground beef. Season with chili powder, salt and garlic
  • Drain ground beef
  • Once drained, place beef back in the pan and add in diced onion and bell peppers until slightly softened
  • Once beans are cooked, add in meat mixture and 2 cans of stewed tomatoes
  • Simmer for an hour
  • Serve over white rice and top with cheese
Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I brown ground beef and onion. put in crockpot, add a couple cans of rinsed kidney beans,   tomato sauce, chili powder, salt and pepper. If I have any on hand, I like chopped green peppers also.

Shellness
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Mines close to this.

I will use either chuck roast cut into cubes or ground beef!

Canned or dry beans but I prefer to use dry if I have the time

I make it easy and use the packages of chili mix most of the time, so 2 of those.

Onion, bell pepper and sometimes celery (hard to get away from the holy trinity-too much louisiana in me)

jalapeno pepper

tomato paste, sauce or chopped tomatoes. --I'll use what I have!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:11 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Looks really good,
I now make a bbq chili that we love :)

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM

1 pack of Carol Shelbys' Chili Seasoning

2lbs. lean ground beef

1lb. sausage

1 large onion chopped

1 large green pepper

1 pkg.  fresh mushrooms whole or sliced

1-2 cloves of garlic minced

1-2 cans of chopped or stewed tomatoes

tomato sauce (not sure how much) but use big cans

tomato paste if needd to thicken sauce

3-4 cans of dark kidney beans or mix of light and dark

Salt and pepper to taste

If wanted you can add more chili powder.

Brown meat and add green peppers,onions and mushooms. Add other ingredients into large heavy pot and simmer on low/med heat for 3-4 hours for flavor to blend well. We let ours cook most of the day.

Sour cream,shredded sharp cheddar cheese,chopped green onions for toppings. And corn bread muffins or cheddar chese biscuits.

Shellness
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Oh yes, sausage is good in it too! Ground sausage or smoked sausage cut up into bit sized pieces. Kuntrylady56 just reminded me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN