Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

WHO HAS ADULT CHILDREN STILL LIVING WITH THEM

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:10 PM
  • 21 Replies

I Have 9 in the household and 3 of them are my adult children ages 22,24 and 30 and i would love for them to get their own place, i love them all but i want to breath again and be able to hear about their life in their own house. i sometimes feel like leaving with my husband and the 2 youngest who are 14 and 15. does anyone have this same situation? 

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shellness
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I don't really. I have 2 out of the house. They are 23 and 21, and only 1 adult child in the house. He is also 21 but is working and starting back to school. He was out but didn't like what he was doing and is starting over again. 

I understand how you feel. I would not be a happy person in your situation either. Tell them 3 to move out together!

NEISA50
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Quoting Shellness:

I don't really. I have 2 out of the house. They are 23 and 21, and only 1 adult child in the house. He is also 21 but is working and starting back to school. He was out but didn't like what he was doing and is starting over again. 

I understand how you feel. I would not be a happy person in your situation either. Tell them 3 to move out together!

I have tried for all three to move out together but they don't have really good jobs to make the rent ,con ed and so on so iam thinking that i move out within the next year and leave them here hopefully that works

Why123
by Nancy on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:34 PM

My son and his family live with me.  I think every mother has the urge to run away from home on occasion.

gabyangy
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:34 PM

My 25 year old lives with us, he is trying to find a house to buy.  My middle one is away at college and my youngest who will be 18 in Dec is still in high school.  My son is away on a business trio for two weeks and the house is very quiet...

jabs54
by Jeanine on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

We only have our youngest dd who will be 21 in a couple days living with us while she is putting herself through nursing school.  We love having her here but I suspect if she were 30 I would feel differently.  Why don't they all move into an apartment together?  Wouldn't they be able to afford moving out then?

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:24 PM

My 22 yr old and my 20 year old live with me. I don't mind it. My 22 yr old helps with bills and my 20 yr old is looking for work and will also help when she finds employment.

boys2men2soon
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I'm sorry!  That is a houseful, I can understand your feelings.

Mine are both at home.  I will miss them terribly when they are gone.  

My 22 yr old just graduated college in August.  He works part time.  He is currently looking for a fulltime position.

My youngest is 18 and in College full time.  This is his first year.

TattooedMomto4
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:25 PM

We have 6 of us living here....hubby and I and our 20, 22 and 26yo sons & our 20yo's girlfriend and in Nov. our 24yo will be back here. Our 22yo and 26yo sons were both in the Army and came back in Sept. 2010 (26yo) and this past June (22yo). Our 26yo stayed with us for a month and then moved in with a friend. Last June his friend got married and he had no place to live so he moved back in with us. He was working and then in Jan. he started college. This coming Jan. he is transferring to another college and plans to live on campus. Our 22yo came back in June, started working the week he came home and started college in Sept. and in Jan. he is also transferring to another college & will live on campus. Our 20yo was away for his 1st 1 1/2 years of college but then he developed severe asthma and became unable to play football which messed with his sports scholarship so, he transferred to a local community college and has been living back here since Dec.. He still has a few years of college left (majoring in Psychology) and will live here until he finishes school. Next Fall he'll be transferring to another college but they have a branch campus close to home so he will stay here. His gf will be going to college in PA once she finishes high school (she's almost 19 and had no place to live so she lives here). And our 24yo has lived in TX since 11/07 & he's been incarcerated since last Sept.. He'll be home in Nov. and will be staying with us while he gets back on his feet, he needs his family behind him now. He will eventually be going to college, too.

We don't mind our sons staying here. The 3 who are here now and my son's gf all pay rent ($150 each), do their own laundry, clean their own rooms, help with kitchen clean up after supper, etc.. They also all pay their own bills....car payments, car insurance and cell phone bills and pay for everything they want and need with no help from us.

Sometimes hubby and I joke about renting a studio apartment to get alone time. LOL There's always 1 of the 4 of them here when we are home alone so alone time is very hard to come by. But, they won't be here forever. Here is just temporary while they are in school.

NEISA50
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:34 AM

all 3 of the adult children staying here are working and one is in college also, they pay their share of the rent, they put in for the groceries,and clean their room and wash their own clothes. i just need some space i love them and enjoy them but i just sometimes want to be alone.  i come from a family of 14 kids and i live like that with my parents and sibblings,there was people all over the place. i love them and they do what they have to do i just need space.

Quoting NEISA50:

I Have 9 in the household and 3 of them are my adult children ages 22,24 and 30 and i would love for them to get their own place, i love them all but i want to breath again and be able to hear about their life in their own house. i sometimes feel like leaving with my husband and the 2 youngest who are 14 and 15. does anyone have this same situation? 

TinaW.
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Kinda, my 22 yr old is school getting her BA. So, she needs to be here with me. My 28 yr old is in San Diego getting her Phd, she has her own place there. But when she's finished with schooling, she might need to come back home to save some money while looking for a job in her field. But sometimes with the younger one home, I want to run away (smile). Of course, I'd come back. But you know what I mean. Just for a break. Like being grownup on my own. No responsibilites but me. Must be wonderful (another smile).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN