Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did You Ever Go On Strike?

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:08 AM
  • 18 Replies

Mom Goes On Strike & House Becomes a Wreck: So Who Learned What? (PHOTO)

Posted by Ericka Sóuter

stikingmomWhen I heard about the latest mom on strike in protest of her lazy kids, I thought, "Here we go again."

Yet another tired, over-worked, under-appreciated mother who is trying to teach her kids a lesson. You see, like so many of us, Jessica Stilwell was tired of picking up after her daughters. Dirty dishes, smelly laundry, toys, books, and every other mess that come with having kids. When she halted all housework, her kids finally noticed something was up -- after several days. She wrote about the "walk-out" on her blog Striking Mom and her children's reactions were priceless.

Like most kids, they didn't bother with their assigned chores because if they didn't do it, mom would take care of it, of course. Well, Stilwell, a social worker, was fed up with dealing with messes that weren't hers. She continued to cook and make their lunches, but if they didn't clean out their lunch packs, they got the meal in a plastic bag the next day.

When one of the girls sat down for dinner and saw a bowl full of soggy cereal in her spot (remnants of her breakfast), she knew something was up. She whined, "'EWWWWW, what is THAT??' As she pushed the bowl towards me, I simply said, 'Why that looks like your breakfast my love' and I walked away,'" Stilwell wrote. The house got messier, dishes piled up, but still her children didn't lift a finger until day six. Apparently the girls were so disgusted, they couldn't take it anymore. Her kids weren't the only ones suffering through the nastiness. I am sure Stilwell and her husband were at their limit too.  stikingmom

Her struggle is one many -- if not most -- parents can relate to. Kids hate chores. Kids will do anything they can to get out of chores. And -- as the Stilwell dilemma demonstrates -- they will live in filth instead of wash a dish. Sadly, I don't think that a strike is really going to change that. I applaud her for trying though. Parents have employed everything from bribery to threats to get their child to take out the trash.

I would bet her girls will stick to their to-do list for a month or so, but soon they will probably lapse back into their old, lazy ways. And what will mom do? Start picking up after them again. It's inevitable. Kids just don't get it until they have kids of their own. So take stock in the fact that they will one day be just as annoyed and frustrated as you.

Did you ever stage a mom strike?

How did you get your kids to do their chores when they were young?

If your adult kids live with you, do they do chores?

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
allforedwards
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM
I always told them I would be couldn't handle the mess. I did one time and my brother in law showed up to my house. Oh well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Years ago I did. Haven't done anyones laundry but my own. Dh does his too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM

No, I never did. I considered keeping the house up is my job.  And this includes making sure that others in the house do their part.

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Oh no!!!

Quoting allforedwards:

I always told them I would be couldn't handle the mess. I did one time and my brother in law showed up to my house. Oh well.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:19 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Hugs on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:24 PM

No but I wanted to, LOL
They just knew they had to or couldn't play til they do them :)

Why123
by Nancy on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I don't recall ever having to officially go on strike.  Of course I also can't say that my house was ever perfect.  I could always find something better to do than housekeeping.  If there were no more dishes, then I would wash them.  I did pick up and straighten up after they went to bed.  I did laundry (in the bath tub by hand when I didn't have a washing machine).  They always had clean clothes.  I cooked until they were old enough to do it for themselves (on a hot plate for years because I didn't have a stove).  I would periodically have my 2 youngest daughters shovel out their room.  My son has loved to rearrange furniture since he discovered that he could do it.  I told him the only furniture he could rearrange was his own so his room was usually neat because he was constantly moving things.  I don't recall mine officially having chores.  The 2 youngest girls were responsible for taking care of their rabbits for 4H but that was about it.  My son and his family live with me now.  They cook, clean, do dishes, do their own laundry, mow the grass, take care of the garden, and take care of the cars.  I think, on the whole as far as my kids are concerned, I have had a pretty good life.  They have mostly turned out pretty good.

nana9106
by Darlene on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I went on strike one time. Not because of my kids but, because of my XDH (when we were married). My house was always clean and organized. Well, for a couple of days, I had been sick with the flu and didn't really get to clean (like vacuuming and laundry). We had gone to XDH sisters house and he decides that I needed to be humiliated for not cleaning the house. He tells her and her DH that all I ever do is sit on the couch and watch soap operas...Well that pissed me off, because even while I ws sick with the flu, I managed to cook dinner, take care of the kids and clean the basic stuff. So that very night I went on strike. The only thing I did for 3 weeks was take care of the kids, and cook dinner only because the kids had to eat. After day one my XDH noticed that I hadn't done anything that day...the kids were 2 & 4....they had toys and stuff everywhere. So I told him that he was gonna see what it looked like for me to sit on my butt and watch soap operas. At week 3 the house was looking like a trash hoarder lived there and it was too much for me so I caved in and cleaned.

He never talked trash about me to his family again!

louannwilkins
by Louann on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:26 PM

No can't say that I ever did.  Maybe I should have a time or two though.   :)

gmadiane
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:11 PM

If I went on strike the only person it would bother would be me

Esmrlda
by Esme on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:29 PM

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting gmadiane:

If I went on strike the only person it would bother would be me

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)