Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tip of the Day 10/11

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:28 PM
  • 12 Replies

Did you know that if your drain is clogged or slow draining, you can use a plunger, baking soda, white vinegar, Dawn dish detergent and boiling water to fix the problem. True

The guys don't always scrape their plates and sometimes my drain will begin to slow down. I will try to plunge it first. If this does not help. I will pour abou 1/2 cup of baking soda followed by 1/2 cup white vinegar. Next Dawn dish detergent and a pot of boiling water. Works everytime! For small clogs and slow drains. Do this once a month to help keep your pipes clean.

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KittyGram
by Becky on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I've done something similar.  I use the baking soda, but I add salt to it.  Then I add the vinegar, let it bubble up till it's done bubbling, then let the hot water run.  

Yes, it does wonders.  

hugss
Take some *Time Out for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
59 minutes ago
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Hugs on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:48 PM

What a great tip!
Thanks so much :)

Why123
by Nancy on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:52 PM

You can also use denture cleaning tablets or Alka Seltzer tablets and hot water.

gmadiane
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:09 PM

interesting

homeskoolmama
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Depending on the age of your pipes, you can cause damage using the alka seltzer tabs.

We have run a home repair/maintenance service for many years, if the pipes are old, iron, and rusty, the AT will eat through.

Quoting Why123:

You can also use denture cleaning tablets or Alka Seltzer tablets and hot water.

Esmrlda
by Esme on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:32 PM

What is in that Dawn dish detergent. I have heard it used for quite a few things.  Thanks for the tip Dawn!

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Good advice.  Thanks.

CoeyG
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I have always used baking soda and white vinegar to clear my drains.  I do it once a week.  

homeskoolmama
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Yes this is the best way. Add the baking soda, add the vinegar and wait until the fizz stops. Flush with hot water.

Quoting KittyGram:

I've done something similar.  I use the baking soda, but I add salt to it.  Then I add the vinegar, let it bubble up till it's done bubbling, then let the hot water run.  

Yes, it does wonders.  

homeskoolmama
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:51 PM

It has a great grease fighting agent, it lifts stains out of laundry, cleans dishes, removes soap scum off the shower doors/walls, cleans drains, the list goes on.

Quoting Esmrlda:

What is in that Dawn dish detergent. I have heard it used for quite a few things.  Thanks for the tip Dawn!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)