Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

ER Visit or Just Cranberry Juice? *updated 10/18/12*

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Amy
  • 47 Replies
2 moms liked this

UPDATE 10/18-

I did/do have a UTI and upper respiratory infection.  I was given antibiotics and I should be back to normal soon!  I just need to keep drinking lots of fluids and make sure that I take the meds even after I feel better!  Thanks again for all the well wishes and advice! 

I had a very long day at work yesterday, and am slightly under the weather, but I am a little scared. I have blood in my urine. Not a couple drops, it is completely red. I know it isn't menses. I'm sorry if this is TMI but I'm hoping someone may have an idea about this. it first happened about 6 pm yesterday and upon every trip to the restroom since. At first there was no discomfort or pain, but now it is slightly uncomfortable and kind of like a UTI but not painful. I had a UTI years ago, but never like this. I don't want to panic and go to the ER because I have no insurance and another bill is the last thing I need if it is unnecessary. Suggestions?

*Update*
Yesterday evening I noticed there was less and last night it seemed none but small spots on the tissue. This morning there was none at all. I am going to stay away from alcohol and pop (soda for you southern ladies) for a couple of weeks just to be safe. It makes me wonder if those clots I saw were stones? I'm a little perplexed, but happy there is no blood! I was really scared. Thanks for being there ladies!

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:03 PM

If it's a UTI, the LAST thing you want to be drinking is cranberry juice!  I have been typing for a urologist since 1994!  cranberry juice you drink to PREVENT a UTI if you are prone to get them.

I am not a doctor and I am not pretending to be one, but my daughter and I both swear by Azo.  It's an over-the counter pill you take  and it turns your pee bright orange!  You might try that for a couple of days along with LOTS OF WATER.  but WATER.  not coke, juice, coffee, etc, but WATER.  If you are still feeling miserable after a couple of days by all means call your doctor or go to the ER.   A trip to an urgent care center might be a little less expensive ...

I hope you get to feeling better!  I haven't had a UTI in a long long time.

CLEKate
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I don't think it is ER worthy.  If it isn't gone in a couple of days, I would suggest an urgent care or a Minute Clinic visit.  A lot more cost effective.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Well I guess I would wait a day or so & then like the others suggested go to a clinic,
Hope it stops & you feel better.
Let us know :)

Join us at
Time Out for You

Mariagma3
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Amy- My opinion is I think you should go to the ER. I know you don't need another bill, but it sounds like a kidney infection, or kidney stones. Both can be nasty and very painful. Good luck, hon! BTW: Although I'm unemployed, I'm a Medical Assistant. Kidney problem is the first thing that came to my mind, or UTI. Another thing: If you have fever, go!

amylulu1
by Amy on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:48 PM
I am an avid water drinker, so I will continue that. would it hinder me to drink cranberry juice? I've had about 40 ounces of it today.

Quoting suzeebloch:

If it's a UTI, the LAST thing you want to be drinking is cranberry juice!  I have been typing for a urologist since 1994!  cranberry juice you drink to PREVENT a UTI if you are prone to get them.

I am not a doctor and I am not pretending to be one, but my daughter and I both swear by Azo.  It's an over-the counter pill you take  and it turns your pee bright orange!  You might try that for a couple of days along with LOTS OF WATER.  but WATER.  not coke, juice, coffee, etc, but WATER.  If you are still feeling miserable after a couple of days by all means call your doctor or go to the ER.   A trip to an urgent care center might be a little less expensive ...

I hope you get to feeling better!  I haven't had a UTI in a long long time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amylulu1
by Amy on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:55 PM
There is a clinic here that is about $35 for ther visit and $5-$15 for tests. the earliest appointment they had was Tuesday. I think I will go there if it persists. If I start having pain or fever, I will definitely go the ER route...

Quoting CLEKate:

I don't think it is ER worthy.  If it isn't gone in a couple of days, I would suggest an urgent care or a Minute Clinic visit.  A lot more cost effective.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amylulu1
by Amy on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this
No fever at this point, but if I start having pain or fever, I will go to the ER. Thank you for your advice...my mother's first thought was kidney stone...scary!

Quoting Mariagma3:

Amy- My opinion is I think you should go to the ER. I know you don't need another bill, but it sounds like a kidney infection, or kidney stones. Both can be nasty and very painful. Good luck, hon! BTW: Although I'm unemployed, I'm a Medical Assistant. Kidney problem is the first thing that came to my mind, or UTI. Another thing: If you have fever, go!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amylulu1
by Amy on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I was thinking the same thing...thanks for the well wishes!

Quoting hugss:

Well I guess I would wait a day or so & then like the others suggested go to a clinic,
Hope it stops & you feel better.
Let us know :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louannwilkins
by Louann on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Hope you feel better soon!!  I had this happen to me twice and both times I had to have antibiotics. When I had to give my urine sample it was completely red.   At first the nurse came back in and said are you sure you aren't on your period.  I looked at her like she had 2 heads and said you really should just get out of this room now.....it ticked me off!!  lol  I mean, I think I know when I'm having my period.  lol  Anyway...it was a kidney thing and mine got really bad.  I had a lot of pain though and you're saying you don't.  I would keep watch on it and only wait another day or so before going.  Good luck!!

homeskoolmama
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM

ER

Hoping you went and are ok.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)