Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

what to do!

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:10 AM
  • 22 Replies

I have a dilemna. my grandsons birthday is scheduled for the same day as one of my sons baseball games. My grandson will be 3, my son is 10. the game starts an hr before the party. I left it up to my son, I said he could either skip the game,or go to the game with my bf and come to the party aboout an hr late, but I am going to the party. I go to all my sons games and practices, this would be the only one I miss. Now my sil, thinks Im wrong to let him choose and he should be made to go to the party(he is leanig towards playing baseball).I say its up to him, and really most of the other kids at the party and most of the activities are aimed for kids 4 and under. He will be there for cake and presents though,plus baseball is a team sport. now Im second guessing my decision, oh and my daughter doenst care one way or another, she have 18 kids coming.

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Talk to them & see how theey feel,
Let them know this is a tough choice for you as well.
Also mention with a bit of luck it won't happen to soon
So do ask & see wha t they say.
Good luck & let us know :)

Join us at
Time Out for You

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:30 AM

If you're daughter dosen't mind I don't see where there should be a problem. I think you chose right and letting your son make the choice.

rosebud727
by Rose on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:51 AM

The team is counting on your son to be there. Your daughter also knows your son plays baseball. I don't see this as being something a 10 year old needs to feel guilty about. If he wants to play baseball let him play. 

You already said he would just be sitting around, basically waiting for cake and ice cream. 

nana9106
by Darlene on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Your son made a commitment when he joined that team. I was raised and raised my kids to honor your commitments. Your son should definitely play the game and then attend the party.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I would do the same as you.

jurnee14
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:06 AM

thanks for your help, he pretty much decided he is going to the game. I was ok with my decision, till my sil said he would make her kids go to the party if it were her family.  As long as my son is ok with me missing one game, which I will feel guilty  about, but when you have more than one kid, and grandkids, you cant be everywhere at once. 

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:24 AM

That's a tough decision!  Hate to pin the decision on a 10-year old, though.  Doesn't seem quite right.  I think doing what is most important for your son is the key factor.  The birthday child is only 3 and probably won't even realize your son isn't there (that makes your son the uncle, right?)  If the birthday child was older, then it might be more of an issue.  I think what you mentioned earlier - going ahead with the baseball game and then having cake and ice cream afterwards seems the best solution.  Unless your son is intent on going to the birthday party, which it sounds like he isn't.  Too bad that party couldn't have been planned to accomodate the baseball game though.

jurnee14
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Quoting suzeebloch:

That's a tough decision!  Hate to pin the decision on a 10-year old, though.  Doesn't seem quite right.  I think doing what is most important for your son is the key factor.  The birthday child is only 3 and probably won't even realize your son isn't there (that makes your son the uncle, right?)  If the birthday child was older, then it might be more of an issue.  I think what you mentioned earlier - going ahead with the baseball game and then having cake and ice cream afterwards seems the best solution.  Unless your son is intent on going to the birthday party, which it sounds like he isn't.  Too bad that party couldn't have been planned to accomodate the baseball game though.

Unfortunately the party was planned a while ago, and invites are out. The timing is mostly to accomadate the bday boy and his friends nap time,and halloween parties later that day, and we just got our revised baseball schedule. Its really not such a big deal to my son, the party will still be going on when he gets there,and hes not even upset that Im missing his game. My sil thinks its rude to miss any family functions, but it is a team sport and my bf is one of the coaches, so he has to be there. I doubt my grandson will even notice that my son gets there late,lol,

atlmom2
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Go to the game for an hour. Can someone bring your son home or to the party. Or come late to the party. Don't worry about pissing family off. They should deal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jurnee14
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

Go to the game for an hour. Can someone bring your son home or to the party. Or come late to the party. Don't worry about pissing family off. They should deal.

My bf coaches the team, so he will be taking him and they will come to the party direct from the game, they will only miss about an hr of it. The funny thing is my daughters not pissed,or her husband,its my brothers wife, shes having her daughter, who is 13 miss a soccer game to go to the party, because, to her, that is putting family first. I try to be really careful with my son not to put the grandkids needs before his, he is onlly 7 yrs older than his nephew. Not that my sil is pissed, shes just said if it were her child....,lol. When she has lgrown kids, young kids, grandkids, and an aging parent, plus a couple of animals, and a full time job, then she will understand a bit more about prioritizing,lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)