Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

adult daughter w/mental health issues

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:54 PM
  • 11 Replies

my 23 yr old daughter suffers from mental health issues, the biggest one i'm suspecting to be low self esteem, which leads to all sorts of other problems.  today has been a very bad day for her, & even she cannot recognize why she feels the way she does.  she does not live at home, & a friend has gone to stay with her tonight for fear that she may cause harm to herself. i'm beside myself with worry.  she has started to see yet another psychiatrist & her 2nd meeting is tomorrow. she told me before that she has finally been honest with a doctor, meaning this one, when she saw him last week.  i'm suspecting that if that's true, then all sorts of things must be bubbling up inside her, maybe even fearing her appointment tomorrow.  if anyone has experience with this, i would love advice on how i can help her. thanks

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Sounds like a lot more than low self esteem.

Prayers for your DD from me.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Hugs to you all my friend,
Keep us updated on how she is doing :)

Join us at
Time Out for You

JillSD
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Thank you. She is recognizing she needs help. Went to her case worker today, this woman will go with her to the psychiatrist & she has another appointment tomorrow with another doctor. The case worker is taking this very seriously.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mac1940
by Mary Ann on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I have no good advice but I do hope that she get the help she needs.  Sounds like she has good support from you and her caseworker, which is a good thing.  Our prayers that wll goes well.

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I am glad that it sounds hopeful that she is getting help. She is in my prayers.

Quoting JillSD:

Thank you. She is recognizing she needs help. Went to her case worker today, this woman will go with her to the psychiatrist & she has another appointment tomorrow with another doctor. The case worker is taking this very seriously.

stepof5
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:36 PM

How encouraging that she is at the point where she is willing to seek help. I would continue to support her in this quest and finding a therapist that she feels comfortable with. Psychiatrists are great for diagnosing, however, they do not typically do talk therapy. I would encourage her to find a psychologist or social worker too. I wasn't clear if that is the role of the "case worker" you described. Be there to LISTEN and learn more about the mental health issues she is suffering from. Hugs. I will pray for you and her.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I don't have any advise but just wanted to say I hope she gets  better.     (((hugs)))

JillSD
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:51 PM

thank you all for your words of support & prayers

laughingsqua125
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:14 PM

yes i have a daughter  mental challenged & on top of that bi-polar with low self esteem .she goes for help .

i have a son mannic depressive i finally got across to him he needed to get help . under drs . care its scarey they seem ok but on the inside a volcano stirring                                                                                                                        

She has a provider & payee just listen to what is said hopefull things will be getting better.hugs

Esmrlda
by Esme on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I hope your dd gets the help she needs and can overcome her obstacles.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)