Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

of affair - much as I like reading others posts, replying sometimes and posting, I am thinking of quitting CafeMom. My language is deteriorating ! There is poor spelling, bad grammar, wrong wording....you name it and it is there. Now, before you all bash me up let me clarify that English is NOT my mother tongue. Right now I live in a French speaking place too so my English is getting affected. Also, I use a cell phone only for emergencies and rarely text so I can do without that lingo as well. I come to CafeMom to enjoy some time with others. I feel if one does not have the time to write properly, they could come back later.

Anybody else feel the same way?

by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 9:10 PM
Replies (11-20):
Monica42
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Why are you worried about your language skill? I don't think that bothers anyone...... (for sure not me lol) My mother tongue is Hungarian and now I live in Spain, I learned English from reading a lot of books and watching tv butI am sure that I make a lot of spelling mistakes when I writing but doesn't bother me and I hope it's doesn't bother anyone. I like being a part of the group b/c you can fnd here nice ladies to talk and getting some good advices....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
suesues
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 8:30 AM

I dont care how people spell or write if it bothers you get off .

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I've been a medical transcriptionist since 1994 and typos and grammatical errors jump out at me and start yelling!  But I pay no attention when they do that here in this group.  I like to think I write well - but I'm not trying to write a book or anything either.  I, too, read the content for the content and I'm not a teacher trying to correct anyone's grammar or spelling or punctuation.  Life is too short for that. 

However, I really don't like it when people use ur instead of "you are".  I don't even really like seeing DH and DS and DD etc but that's just the way things are.  I don't use them myself.

Hope you stick around - at least in our group!  I love this place!

Why123
by Nancy on Oct. 25, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I try very hard to write and speak properly.  I am not a big texter because even there I tend to write everything out.  I work at a college and incorrect English is frowned upon.  There are some posters that I find it very difficult to read because the language is so poor.  Not in this group however.  I ignore how other people write.  If their writing bothers me I will simply skip over their replies.  I am sorry that you find it so irritating that you wish to leave.  Most of my mistakes are in typing.  I am not a typist.

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM

All I have to say, is you try typing perfectly when you've got curious cats trying to climb onto the keyboard and a 4 year old and 7 year old going,"GRANDMAAAA!!!!!" every 5 minutes and see how good your concetration is!

I didn't know I had to worry about being graded on my spelling and punctuation.Sorry,I'm not perfect and do not pretend to be.And do not expect other people to be either.

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Oct. 25, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Quoting lisamarie1265:

Quoting DesignGirl450:

Yeah, sometimes I have to admit the grammar leaves a lot to be desired, but I guess some people don't know any better. 

Just curious... What do you mean??

Things like "there kids" instead of "their",  and "your wondering" instead of "you're" just jump out at me immediately.  

CoeyG
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

The thing is that most on these types of sites type as if they are having a conversation.  Now when I'm talking to someone I don't end a sentence by saying "period", "question mark" "colon/semi colon" or "exclamation point".  Also when I take a pause in a sentence for a breath I don't say "comma".  When I refer to someone who has two last names I don't say "Smith hyphen Jones".  Our posts here are conversations, not business letters.  We are sitting at our computers as if were sitting at a table in Starbuck's, enjoying the company of the group and not so worried about how they say what they have to say.  

I will admit that sometimes I too am confused as to what someone means when they use the wrong wording but if I read a little farther I can usually pick it up.  If I can't understand at all I will question and critisize just what it did say in an attempt to get them to realize just what it was they did say.  I will often give the meaning of a word as well as the word that would actually be in place of it.  

For the most part I ignore it, people I know speak using different accents and I'm not about to tell them to talk like me so I can understand what they are saying...I would think that because this is not your native tongue you would be more understanding as you were probably corrected when you were first using the language.   So lighten up, this isn't high school english...this Cafe Mom...CAFE you got it?

jabs54
by Jeanine on Oct. 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Wow...just wow!

gmadiane
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I am sure my grammer or spelling is not always the best but who cares, I dont look at others posts like I am grading a paper, if thats all you get out of the group then I feel sorry for you

DysphoniaBec
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 4:53 PM

There may be a number of reasons for the typos and grammar errors.  One thing I have trouble with is being too tired, then I catch myself spelling things wrong or using the wrong word - like to instead of two.  I read over it and am surprised I made some of the mistakes I have made.  In another room, we have chats once a week and I can tell when I've been chatting too long when I see mistakes that I know better than to make.  That's when I usually end my participation in the chat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)