Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

of affair - much as I like reading others posts, replying sometimes and posting, I am thinking of quitting CafeMom. My language is deteriorating ! There is poor spelling, bad grammar, wrong wording....you name it and it is there. Now, before you all bash me up let me clarify that English is NOT my mother tongue. Right now I live in a French speaking place too so my English is getting affected. Also, I use a cell phone only for emergencies and rarely text so I can do without that lingo as well. I come to CafeMom to enjoy some time with others. I feel if one does not have the time to write properly, they could come back later.

Anybody else feel the same way?

by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 9:10 PM
Replies (21-30):
Esmrlda
by Esme on Oct. 25, 2012 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Whats really bothering you Sue?

Shellness
by Michell on Oct. 25, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Listen; no one is perfect. Its best not to judge! People come on this site to have fun, relax, make friends; things like that. 

Who cares if they didn't make the Dean's list for a English Major. It's their heart that really matters...the kind of person they are.

homeskoolmama
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Sorry , we speak American, which is slang. Not English as most of us are not in England.  LOL...Seriously, most of us are very busy and the abbreviations are quick and so prominent now that has become everyday vernacular. I'm sorry if you feel the need to leave, however, I do understand. There are times when it is difficult to decipher what people are talking about due to the amount of abbreviations. 

I am home alone more than I care to be, however, I can not change that at this time. I rarely talk on the phone and texting is not something that I do often. I do understand. There are times when I feel I have no vocabulary left at all and would not be able to carry on a conversation with anyone over a third grade level.

If you leave, we will miss you. If you stay, try not to judge us by our lack of "proper" writing.

This is a laid back group where we feel comfortable enough to not worry about spell check, grammar and editing. Should we? Maybe.

lisamarie1265
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 3:29 AM
Quoting DesignGirl450:

I see what you mean.. I catch that myself, especially if it's me who does it, but like everyone has said these posts are casual conversation, if there is a grammatical error, and it can be deciphered then really what difference does it make? Just an opinion... : - )
Sue1605
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Thank you so much! I AM still sticking around. Sorry it took a while to respond as I was away on vacation and had only an iPad to use. Also I wanted to make the most of my time away.

Quoting hugss:

Well I try but honestly I do mis spell words but that's just me ::blush::
For the most part I feel like I write ok.
Now there are times I may not.
I think you should stick around & hang out with us ..
Besides we're a great group of women who really help/support each other :)

Sue1605
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Sorry it took a while to respond Esme. I was on vacation when I made the post and had only an iPad to use that I was not so familiar with.  My boys were complaining that my English has worsened considerably! I guess I am just very unhappy with my lonely, luxurious life.

Quoting Esmrlda:

Whats really bothering you Sue?

jabs54
by Jeanine on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:48 PM

So, you've decided to stay? 

Sue1605
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:53 PM

No, no need to apologise. As I put it elsewhere, English is not my mother tongue, the French I use now is not perfect either. Between the mistakes in CM and not speaking English regularly, my spoken skills are going down and several times others have commented on it.

I am staying, I love being here. I just wondered whether it was only me who felt this way and I need to do something about it, or let others correct me without a second thought.

Quoting homeskoolmama:

Sorry , we speak American, which is slang. Not English as most of us are not in England.  LOL...Seriously, most of us are very busy and the abbreviations are quick and so prominent now that has become everyday vernacular. I'm sorry if you feel the need to leave, however, I do understand. There are times when it is difficult to decipher what people are talking about due to the amount of abbreviations. 

I am home alone more than I care to be, however, I can not change that at this time. I rarely talk on the phone and texting is not something that I do often. I do understand. There are times when I feel I have no vocabulary left at all and would not be able to carry on a conversation with anyone over a third grade level.

If you leave, we will miss you. If you stay, try not to judge us by our lack of "proper" writing.

This is a laid back group where we feel comfortable enough to not worry about spell check, grammar and editing. Should we? Maybe.

Sue1605
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Took me a while to decide, eh? I'm still around!

Quoting jabs54:

jabs54
by Jeanine on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Quoting Sue1605:

Took me a while to decide, eh? I'm still around!

Quoting jabs54:

You might want to avoid my posts...I didn't go to college ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)