Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

of affair - much as I like reading others posts, replying sometimes and posting, I am thinking of quitting CafeMom. My language is deteriorating ! There is poor spelling, bad grammar, wrong wording....you name it and it is there. Now, before you all bash me up let me clarify that English is NOT my mother tongue. Right now I live in a French speaking place too so my English is getting affected. Also, I use a cell phone only for emergencies and rarely text so I can do without that lingo as well. I come to CafeMom to enjoy some time with others. I feel if one does not have the time to write properly, they could come back later.

Anybody else feel the same way?

by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 9:10 PM
Replies (41-46):
CoeyG
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Proper spelling is one thing, sometimes I have to read a post over a few times to figure out what the OP means and when they mix words that sound alike up that does get confusing.  However on these sites people tend to "converse" the way they do in real life.  As if we were all sitting around at Starbucks chatting.  If someone comes in  yelling we would admonish them to speak a little quieter.  Those who spoke softy (the light font) we might ask to speak up (I have trouble with the light fonts by the way).  But we wouldn't be telling someone they misused a coma or a semi colon or that they didn't put a period at the end of a sentence.  And of course we wouldn't be telling someone that they misspelled a word.  I have to admit that yes I sometimes am a stickler for spelling, but that is usually if the misspelling throws off the entire post and I am totally lost or if the spelling is so bad that it seems that the OP doesn't know English.  It doesn't take a lot of time to click on the check spelling, and yes I am quite aware that I also am guilty of misspellings myself.  But as someone else pointed out, I type faster than I can think and sometimes my fingers wander.  But I try to correct myself if my eyes catch it or I will try to remember to use spell checker.  But to leave on account of people not spelling or using correct grammar or punctuation...Okay so leave but don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out. Did I spell that right?  How about my punctuation? Grammar?) 

Sue1605
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Well put CoeyG! Ouch, I DID ask for that one. Love reading your posts, I'm not leaving yet.

In one of the other posts someone had mentioned that she uses a larger font not becos she is shouting but that she has trouble reading the smaller ones. I use the colors just for fun and I was not aware that the lighter ones meant "softly". Thanks.

Quoting CoeyG:

Proper spelling is one thing, sometimes I have to read a post over a few times to figure out what the OP means and when they mix words that sound alike up that does get confusing.  However on these sites people tend to "converse" the way they do in real life.  As if we were all sitting around at Starbucks chatting.  If someone comes in  yelling we would admonish them to speak a little quieter.  Those who spoke softy (the light font) we might ask to speak up (I have trouble with the light fonts by the way).  But we wouldn't be telling someone they misused a coma or a semi colon or that they didn't put a period at the end of a sentence.  And of course we wouldn't be telling someone that they misspelled a word.  I have to admit that yes I sometimes am a stickler for spelling, but that is usually if the misspelling throws off the entire post and I am totally lost or if the spelling is so bad that it seems that the OP doesn't know English.  It doesn't take a lot of time to click on the check spelling, and yes I am quite aware that I also am guilty of misspellings myself.  But as someone else pointed out, I type faster than I can think and sometimes my fingers wander.  But I try to correct myself if my eyes catch it or I will try to remember to use spell checker.  But to leave on account of people not spelling or using correct grammar or punctuation...Okay so leave but don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out. Did I spell that right?  How about my punctuation? Grammar?) 

Sue1605
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM

You are the only one to agree with me!! Thanks for the company.

Quoting hagwestcoast:

I agree, I don't feel like I would be able to convey, what I am saying, without proper spelling, and punctuation.

CoeyG
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Quoting Sue1605:

Well put CoeyG! Ouch, I DID ask for that one. Love reading your posts, I'm not leaving yet.

In one of the other posts someone had mentioned that she uses a larger font not becos she is shouting but that she has trouble reading the smaller ones. I use the colors just for fun and I was not aware that the lighter ones meant "softly". Thanks.

Quoting CoeyG:

I use a slightly larger and bolder font because my eyes are horrible, however I also have my browser set to show the page larger, of course this causes some of the stuff on the sides of the page to be difficult to see but if I want to see it I can easly use the bottom scrossbar and look if I want to see something over there.  However most everything I want to see is centered.  This way I see the larger font and it doesn't appear as if I am "shouting" .  

GaleJ
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I see CM as more of a casual conversation and so it isn't necessarily a good source of formal English practices, either in terms of the written or spoken word. At the same time I choose to write rather formally as it is my normal practice and is more comfortable for me. I am sorry it is a source of difficulty for your language usage.

Sue1605
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I"m a bit stuck with my old fashioned ways too I guess.

Quoting GaleJ:

I see CM as more of a casual conversation and so it isn't necessarily a good source of formal English practices, either in terms of the written or spoken word. At the same time I choose to write rather formally as it is my normal practice and is more comfortable for me. I am sorry it is a source of difficulty for your language usage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)