Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

When the child wants a toy that gets bad reviews?

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM
  • 13 Replies

My granddaughter wants a lallopaloosy house thing with a ramp. I'd get it for her, but when I read the reviews, the people were complaining how flimsy it is and falls apart and to use it you have to support part of it, and so forth. It really doesn't seem like a good buy at all, and only something that she'd use a couple times and get frustrated with.

I sent an email to her mom explaining my concern and asking whether she still wants me to get it.

What is your policy when a child wants a toy that looks like a poor buy?  Go ahead and get it since it is what they want? 

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Why123
by Nancy on Nov. 13, 2012 at 4:28 PM

I don't think children should get everything they want.  Mine didn't, why should the grands.  My granddaughter wanted a doll house but after checking some out it was just too far out of my budget so my granddaughter settled on something else.

Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 13, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Good point. For my boys I would have said that just isn't a good idea and explained why.

Quoting Why123:

I don't think children should get everything they want.  Mine didn't, why should the grands.  My granddaughter wanted a doll house but after checking some out it was just too far out of my budget so my granddaughter settled on something else.

DysphoniaBec
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 5:32 PM

There are a lot of things to take into consideration.  If your granddaughter is old enough you could explain why you don't think she really wants this item.  Maybe then she could find something else she likes just as much or more.     Also, budget is another consideration.  When my DGD was 16, she wanted a car for Christmas.   At that point I had too many other grandchildren to buy for and explained to her that a car was a big ticket item, and we couldn't buy each of our grandchildren one, but maybe we could help her get one after she graduated from high school.

Quoting Why123:

CoeyG
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I took a look at it, I would get it for her.  Teach the kid to play with it as itis meant to be played with and it should be fine.  Looks about s sturdy as a Barbie house, would you get her one of those?

Why123
by Nancy on Nov. 13, 2012 at 7:40 PM

My granddaughter was 7 or 8 at the time.

Quoting DysphoniaBec:

There are a lot of things to take into consideration.  If your granddaughter is old enough you could explain why you don't think she really wants this item.  Maybe then she could find something else she likes just as much or more.     Also, budget is another consideration.  When my DGD was 16, she wanted a car for Christmas.   At that point I had too many other grandchildren to buy for and explained to her that a car was a big ticket item, and we couldn't buy each of our grandchildren one, but maybe we could help her get one after she graduated from high school.

Quoting Why123:

sabrtooth1
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Quoting DysphoniaBec:

When my DGD was 16, she wanted a car for Christmas.   At that point I had too many other grandchildren to buy for and explained to her that a car was a big ticket item, and we couldn't buy each of our grandchildren one, but maybe we could help her get one after she graduated from high school.

Much easier to say: "People in Hell want icewater"

To OP...  You are supposed to be the one with the brains--not the child.  Do what YOU think is appropriate.

Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Yeah.  I know. I was puzzled because her mom is the one who wrote the list, so she is aware, I'd think, of what the toy is like. What I ended up doing is I'll get her something else on the list and not this item.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Quoting DysphoniaBec:

When my DGD was 16, she wanted a car for Christmas.   At that point I had too many other grandchildren to buy for and explained to her that a car was a big ticket item, and we couldn't buy each of our grandchildren one, but maybe we could help her get one after she graduated from high school.

Much easier to say: "People in Hell want icewater"

To OP...  You are supposed to be the one with the brains--not the child.  Do what YOU think is appropriate.

Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I'm still a bit undecided. If she would really love to have it, then I'd like her to have something she wants. On the other hand, she has other grandparents and aunts that will buy for her, so she isn't without presents.

Quoting CoeyG:

I took a look at it, I would get it for her.  Teach the kid to play with it as itis meant to be played with and it should be fine.  Looks about s sturdy as a Barbie house, would you get her one of those?

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:37 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Good you sent the email to her Mom,
See what she has to say then.
Also you can ask your gd what else she would want :)

caro100
by Carol on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:14 AM

DO NOT buy it.  I bought my son a movie action figure and it broke both times within a week.  If it get bad reviews save yourself the child heartbreak, and I would tell the granddaughter that it didn't have the santa seal of appoval so you can't get it for her, even if it looks great.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)