Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Morning glory seeds

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:50 PM
  • 23 Replies

I'm so angry right now. My daughter took morning glory seeds with her "friends" last night. Now this summer she was in the hospital three times, twice with heat exhaustion/stroke and once with a severe kidney infection.

To even function she is on things for depression, anxiety and ADHD but she takes something that has an LSD like effect?

She can't even handle drinking or even caffeine or energy drinks without it throwing her out of whack. Drinking also makes her meds not work.

On the up side she is sick as a dog right now. Assuming this doesn't kill her, I doubt she'll do this particular thing again. If she does, I'll cancel her lease and bring her home. She'll never see those "friends" again. Ugh.

Also on the plus side she did tell me.

I've been researching. Lot's of web info on how to get high from it. Nothing on how to get it out of your system.

I've been giving her charcoal tablets, milk and water every six hours or so. She has gotten better. Of course it shouldn't still be affecting her the way it is either.

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoeyG
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:27 AM

As with most drugs it takes at least 72 hours for it to run it's course completely and leave the system. 

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Good Lord what crazy shit will these kdis think of doing next? I hope she is OK and never does it again.

hugss
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Gosh I don't even know what those are ::blush::
Hope she will be ok .. let us know :)

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM

She means the actual seeds you plant to grow Morning Glories. 

Is Your Teenager Eating Morning Glory Flower Seeds to Get High?

Your backyard may be a danger zone for your teenager, especially if you happen to be growing Morning Glories. These beautiful blooming flowers, also known as heavenly blue, crimson rambler and pearly gates have seeds that contain Lysergic Acid Amide that gives an LSD-like high when swallowed by the hundreds, and kids are gaining this knowledge all too fast. The age of the internet puts information into the hands and minds of kids at such a rapid pace that most parents can barely keep up with the new trends and fads that come and go.

The Morning Glory fad is not a new trend by any means; in fact it was one that grew heavily in the 60's with the hippy era. The seeds of these flowers were often used as a hallucinogen by teenagers looking for a cheap high. The morning glory seeds, containing Lysergic Acid Amide is found to be one-tenth as potent as LSD. The seeds are brown or black and may be eaten whole or ground up, but when the seeds are eaten whole, the effects will be smaller than when they are chewed or ground up.

When the seeds are chewed up, the effects of the drug will take affect within 30 to 90 minutes of ingestion with results that mimic taking LSD. If Lysergic Acid Amide is extracted from the seeds, it can be injected to produce a more immediate and intense experience, and too many children are aware of this. Morning Glory seeds are available to kids at just about any retailer, but store owners have taken some precautions, such as changing the bar code on the seeds so that the supply can be monitored when a teenager is attempting to purchase them in bulk.

The physical effects of ingesting Morning Glory seeds can have a large range of affects varying from anxiety or panic attacks, distortion of time, space and body image, difficulty concentrating and thinking clearly, severe mood swings, often ranging from a hyper-interested mood to a withdrawn disinterested mood, questionable behavior resulting from the confusion, panic, and paranoia that the drug produces when ingested, toxic psychosis from children suffering from depression, and death.

Unfortunately teenagers have the common misconception that because the drug comes from a natural source, that it's safer than other drugs, but this just isn't the case. Signs that teenagers are in fact experimenting include stores nationwide reporting missing packages of Morning Glory seeds, large amounts of the seeds being sold from various retailers, internet searches of the Morning Glory, and hospital visits from teens suffering from spiked heart rates and hallucinations that admit to eating the crushed up Morning Glory seeds.

In 1955 a close study of the Morning Glory began when a psychiatrist published notes on self-experimentation with flower seeds, showing that they brought on intoxicating affects, accompanied by hallucinations. By the 1960's the news of this discovery was wide spread and teens looking for cheap thrills could easily find it right in their own backyard.

Law enforcement has become concerned with teens using the drugs as it is a perfectly legal drug to obtain, and they claim that they weren't aware that the seeds produced effects similar to those produced by LSD. Substance abuse counselors and organizations that monitor problems within the drug industry were not aware of the growing problem either. Some media attention has heightened their awareness of the problem, but it is still a sketchy area as little information is available on the flower seed trend. It is known that chemicals, insecticides, and fungicides are often found on Morning Glory seeds which can lead to a child being poisoned if enough seeds are consumed.

Recreational drugs like the Morning Glory seeds are just beginning to register nationally. After hearing about their wide spread use of these flower seeds among teenagers, the Ohio Early Warning Network issued an alert to school, health and law enforcement officials. Louisiana has recently jumped onto the bandwagon, and they have passed legislation that made morning glories and 38 other plants containing hallucinogenic compounds illegal when intended for human consumption.

Drug counselors, law enforcement, school officials, and parents feel that the only way to control this growing problem is to educate kids and make them aware of the potential dangers of ingesting these types of drugs. They want kids to know that they are not safe in any way, and that permanent damage can result in their use

Quoting hugss:

Click on my siggy to help find a cure for cancer!

hugss
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:46 AM

That's awful :(
And they think they are getting  a *better* kind of lsd then ?
Thanks for sharing :)

Quoting LadySaphira:

She means the actual seeds you plant to grow Morning Glories. 

Is Your Teenager Eating Morning Glory Flower Seeds to Get High?

Your backyard may be a danger zone for your teenager, especially if you happen to be growing Morning Glories. These beautiful blooming flowers, also known as heavenly blue, crimson rambler and pearly gates have seeds that contain Lysergic Acid Amide that gives an LSD-like high when swallowed by the hundreds, and kids are gaining this knowledge all too fast. The age of the internet puts information into the hands and minds of kids at such a rapid pace that most parents can barely keep up with the new trends and fads that come and go.

The Morning Glory fad is not a new trend by any means; in fact it was one that grew heavily in the 60's with the hippy era. The seeds of these flowers were often used as a hallucinogen by teenagers looking for a cheap high. The morning glory seeds, containing Lysergic Acid Amide is found to be one-tenth as potent as LSD. The seeds are brown or black and may be eaten whole or ground up, but when the seeds are eaten whole, the effects will be smaller than when they are chewed or ground up.

When the seeds are chewed up, the effects of the drug will take affect within 30 to 90 minutes of ingestion with results that mimic taking LSD. If Lysergic Acid Amide is extracted from the seeds, it can be injected to produce a more immediate and intense experience, and too many children are aware of this. Morning Glory seeds are available to kids at just about any retailer, but store owners have taken some precautions, such as changing the bar code on the seeds so that the supply can be monitored when a teenager is attempting to purchase them in bulk.

The physical effects of ingesting Morning Glory seeds can have a large range of affects varying from anxiety or panic attacks, distortion of time, space and body image, difficulty concentrating and thinking clearly, severe mood swings, often ranging from a hyper-interested mood to a withdrawn disinterested mood, questionable behavior resulting from the confusion, panic, and paranoia that the drug produces when ingested, toxic psychosis from children suffering from depression, and death.

Unfortunately teenagers have the common misconception that because the drug comes from a natural source, that it's safer than other drugs, but this just isn't the case. Signs that teenagers are in fact experimenting include stores nationwide reporting missing packages of Morning Glory seeds, large amounts of the seeds being sold from various retailers, internet searches of the Morning Glory, and hospital visits from teens suffering from spiked heart rates and hallucinations that admit to eating the crushed up Morning Glory seeds.

In 1955 a close study of the Morning Glory began when a psychiatrist published notes on self-experimentation with flower seeds, showing that they brought on intoxicating affects, accompanied by hallucinations. By the 1960's the news of this discovery was wide spread and teens looking for cheap thrills could easily find it right in their own backyard.

Law enforcement has become concerned with teens using the drugs as it is a perfectly legal drug to obtain, and they claim that they weren't aware that the seeds produced effects similar to those produced by LSD. Substance abuse counselors and organizations that monitor problems within the drug industry were not aware of the growing problem either. Some media attention has heightened their awareness of the problem, but it is still a sketchy area as little information is available on the flower seed trend. It is known that chemicals, insecticides, and fungicides are often found on Morning Glory seeds which can lead to a child being poisoned if enough seeds are consumed.

Recreational drugs like the Morning Glory seeds are just beginning to register nationally. After hearing about their wide spread use of these flower seeds among teenagers, the Ohio Early Warning Network issued an alert to school, health and law enforcement officials. Louisiana has recently jumped onto the bandwagon, and they have passed legislation that made morning glories and 38 other plants containing hallucinogenic compounds illegal when intended for human consumption.

Drug counselors, law enforcement, school officials, and parents feel that the only way to control this growing problem is to educate kids and make them aware of the potential dangers of ingesting these types of drugs. They want kids to know that they are not safe in any way, and that permanent damage can result in their use

Quoting hugss:

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:49 AM

apparently, I googled it and there are actualy web sites where people discuss the kind of "trip" they had and what side effects the suffered and didn't suffer. It is both sad and scarey.

Quoting hugss:

Click on my siggy to help find a cure for cancer!

hugss
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Very sad & scary,
I am so thankful my sons are way past the drug stage, whew :)

Quoting LadySaphira:

apparently, I googled it and there are actualy web sites where people discuss the kind of "trip" they had and what side effects the suffered and didn't suffer. It is both sad and scarey.

Quoting hugss:

caro100
by Carol on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Morning glory seeds, haven't heard of that one.  Our society is going to hell in a handbasket, but people don't want to get right with their maker, so he lets us do waht we want and look where it lands us.   Hope your daughter makes it and learns from her experience.  Have a real heart to hert with her about what is she wanting to do with her life and how concerned you are for her.  Also I would take out a term life insurance policy on her, just in case the worst happens.

Why123
by Nancy on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I always thought morning glory seeds just grew flowers.  Wow.

Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Call poison control 800-222-1222

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)