Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Traditions?

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:18 PM
  • 11 Replies

With the holidays coming up it got me thinking of things we used to do when we were children at the Thanksgiving and Christmas. And when I got married and after having my daughter also.  Like when we were little and were all setting around the table at Thanksgiving there was a grown up table and kids table.And it seemed like the smallest kids got the drumsticks. And after saying the prayer we all said one thing we were thankful for. 

At Christmas my Mom used to let me and my sister skip a day of school and we would go downtown(Washington DC) and go to the Woolsworth store,Sears which had 2 or 3 stories and was the first place I remember ever having an escalater(It scared me and I wouldn't get on it.)about 7 or 8 at the time.lol But we would go see all the stores decorated and and have lunch at the Woolworths diner.And at home I remember looking at the Spiegel Catalogue and being able to circle things we wanted Santa to bring us.  And getting boxes from my Aunt who was in Europe and not being able to see what she sent us. On Christmas Eve being able to open one present. My sister and brothers sending me in to my parents room on Christmas morning to ask if we could open a present before breakfast(I was the baby). And my Dad telling me I could,since I was the One who came in and ask. lol Always getting socks and pajamas . And a box of Life Savers,a new big box of crayons and coloring books.

Then when I was married the first time we alwyas gave each other little joke presents. And we gave ech other a Christmas ornament each year that represented something special or a hobby. Like I love horses and Unicorns or carousels and my ex loved fishing and trains. And I continued that with my daughter and now my grandchildren. And we open one present on Christmas Eve but I usually pick theone I want them to open because I buy everybody Christmas pajamas.  

Ahhhh,I didn't mean for this to be so long.Sorry!  

But what are some of your family traditions and/or favorite memories from growing up and after getting married and having children? 

boy n girlfrom me and mine

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Such great memories & traditions you had .. gotta love it!

Don't remember much from when I was a kid ::blush::

With my sons now ..
Up until last year anyways .. (hopefully this year but not sure)
On Christmas Eve we go out to dinner, come home & play board games
The boys would play a few holiday songs on their instruments (trombone/trumpet)
We allowed them to open one gift & then back to games for a bit longer.

I love this tradition of ours & hope we do it again this year :)

caro100
by Carol on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:54 AM

We used to make christmas cookies and cocoa, then ride around looking at christmas lights, listening to christmas songs.  We also used to read a simple version of the christmas story before opening christmas gifts at home.  I also started having a christmas brunch.  A lot of the boys friends would drop by, kinda makes me wonder what was not happening at their houses.

Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:06 AM

Whoever got the wishbone got to pick someone and try to break it, the one with the biggest piece got the wish.  My parents used to drive the family to see a huge holly tree that was decorated.

GabbiSue
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:02 AM

When my husband was alive we would drive around seeing christmas lights . And on christmas eve read the nightbefore christmas and open 1 gift Then fix a snack of milk and cookies for santa. I sure miss these days . Dont feel sad my kids are grown so it was gonna be over anyway . 

darmomusaf
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:23 AM

When the kids were young, we used to go to a Christmas tree farm to pick out our tree. They provided a horse drawn hay ride and saws to cut your own tree. Afterwards we would have hot cocoa. We also drive around on Christmas eve after church and look at all the lights. Even as adults, the kids still like to do this. The one tradition we keep up is starting to decorate the day after Thanksgiving. I was going to start early this year and DD kept telling me it just wasn't right! So this coming weekend DS is coming home and we will be decorating!

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Most of the traditions I remember involve food!

Christmas Eve is always pizza and White Castle. Then Good snacks like spinach dip after the kids go to bed while I wrap all the presents. 

We don't open a gift on Christmas Eve but I do buy everyone an ornament each year. I'm trying to make going to Bronner's in Frankenmuth a tradition but it fell through this year. I'm going to try it again in two weeks when I have another weekend off.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Up until the past few years when money got too tight, we would all get a new pair of "Christmas Jammies" to wear to bed on Christmas Eve and I would allow my kids to open one gift. For the past 3 years we have had to forgo the Jammies and the kids usually decide on their own if the want to open a gift on Christmas Eve or open two on Christmas day. This year so far they are only getting one gift each but a very sweet person will be sending the stockings.

lyngerdam
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM

#2 son's birthday is 12/9 so until he was about 20 we never put the tree up until after his birthday. Then he told me it didn't matter to him so now we decorate everything Thanksgiving weekend. When I set up the nativity, I don't put the Baby Jesus in until Christmas morning. Don't know if the family cares but I do. Christmas Eve, we go to a children's mass that our Goddaughter sings at. Then, we go to church with our family about 6:00. We drive around looking at lights then all go to my friend's house for tamales. Get home about 10 or 11. Christmas morning, boys come over and we open gifts and start cooking. Have dinner around 3:00 and maybe go to a movie - it's a busy couple of days.

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I am thankful to have the family come to my house on Christmas.  We open gifts and eat Christmas dinner together.  I want to start something new this year - perhaps a candy making day with the kids.  Most of all - I just love having everyone together. 

suesues
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:00 AM

when I was young we would get together with my mom grandma and aunt and bake an old italion cookie I still do it with my mom every year

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)