Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

With the holidays coming up it got me thinking of things we used to do when we were children at the Thanksgiving and Christmas. And when I got married and after having my daughter also.  Like when we were little and were all setting around the table at Thanksgiving there was a grown up table and kids table.And it seemed like the smallest kids got the drumsticks. And after saying the prayer we all said one thing we were thankful for. 

At Christmas my Mom used to let me and my sister skip a day of school and we would go downtown(Washington DC) and go to the Woolsworth store,Sears which had 2 or 3 stories and was the first place I remember ever having an escalater(It scared me and I wouldn't get on it.)about 7 or 8 at the time.lol But we would go see all the stores decorated and and have lunch at the Woolworths diner.And at home I remember looking at the Spiegel Catalogue and being able to circle things we wanted Santa to bring us.  And getting boxes from my Aunt who was in Europe and not being able to see what she sent us. On Christmas Eve being able to open one present. My sister and brothers sending me in to my parents room on Christmas morning to ask if we could open a present before breakfast(I was the baby). And my Dad telling me I could,since I was the One who came in and ask. lol Always getting socks and pajamas . And a box of Life Savers,a new big box of crayons and coloring books.

Then when I was married the first time we alwyas gave each other little joke presents. And we gave ech other a Christmas ornament each year that represented something special or a hobby. Like I love horses and Unicorns or carousels and my ex loved fishing and trains. And I continued that with my daughter and now my grandchildren. And we open one present on Christmas Eve but I usually pick theone I want them to open because I buy everybody Christmas pajamas.  

Ahhhh,I didn't mean for this to be so long.Sorry!  

But what are some of your family traditions and/or favorite memories from growing up and after getting married and having children? 

boy n girlfrom me and mine

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:18 PM
Replies (11-11):
Shellness
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:10 AM

I too always bought my kids pajamas and let them open them on Christmas eve. Cute for the pictures right?!! 

Growing up I can't remember anything we did special other than to go into the woods and pick out our tree every year. We always had a Charlie Brown tree and my mother always complained about it! We also always got a book of lifesavers in our stockings.

My kids love the stockings. I always make them extra special and I know that is the memory they would talk about. (I still make the stockings like that)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN