Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Your Family at Thanksgiving

Posted by   + Show Post

We are avoiding the family drama this year. The only people coming to our house for dinner are our children, their SO's, and our youngest daughters boyfriends parents and sisters. 

It "should" be a great time. Its still sad that our families have these issues but we aren't going to let that stop us from having a loving time with our kids.

So who is going to be at your Thanksgiving table this year?

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
Shellness
by Michell on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I'm happy for you all that she is going to make it!

Quoting momma-t42:

It was to be just me, my husband, and our middle daughter as our oldest is going to do her own family dinner, and my youngest was to travel with the basketball team in college.  So, I was thinking maybe we should just go out to eat.

BUT, my baby just text me saying she's coming home tomorrow....YIPPPEEEE!!!

I'm so happy she'll be home...and now I'll make a yummy meal for us all.

Shellness
by Michell on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Sounds like a good time though, No clean up, that's always a plus. It stinks to have to share the holidays doesn't it!

Quoting jabs54:

I'm sorry you are having family difficulties :( 

My son and his wife are going to her family this year.  My youngest dd has to work so my oldest dd, dh and I are going out to a restaurant for a fabulous (and expensive) buffet. 

Shellness
by Michell on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:25 PM

My partial should be in any day now and I keep saying, "I hope they don't call me in to get it before Thanksgiving" because they have to pull 2 teeth on me too! LOL, he should have made them change the appt.!

Quoting Esmrlda:

No one, dh is getting two teeth pulled on Wednesday so we got out of having dinner with the in laws. He seems happier about it than I am.   We will make a dinner on Saturday if he is feeling up to it and have a few friends over.

passionatebren
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:40 PM

It will be myself dh the one child we still have at home. My oldest her dh and their 3 daughters. My second oldest her dh and their 3 daughters. My ex MIL ex SIL and ex BIL. I love my ex's family to death and I love having them over for the holiday. I am sad that my son and his gf won't be here as well as my youngest her dh and my grandson. Plus my college kiddo can't make it home cause stupid Walmart is making her work Thanksgiving and Black Friday! This is also the first year my mom won't be with us she passed away in a car accident in June :(

gmadiane
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:29 PM

me, hubby, my oldest dd, her man and 2 of the grandkids

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:12 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Sounds good then for us both :)

Quoting Shellness:

Me too! I'm looking forward to it!

Quoting hugss:

Just the four of us & I can't wait :)

campingmomof4
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:14 AM

This year I am only cooking for 4.   My mom tried to invite herself and the rest of the family on Sunday.  I didn't give in.  She called me yesterday.  I didn't call her back.   She is going to try and rope me into cooking for 15 people like most years.  I am not doing it.

We only have the girls home this year for Thanksgiving.  Both boys are away with the Army.  My dil went to her family for Thanksgiving this year. 

I want a quiet day.  

cherylam
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:32 AM

My son is working as is his wife, my daughter is going to ex in-laws for dinner with her DH & kids, and SD lives in Alabama with her DH and baby son, so it's hubby & I and his brother and his brothers son.  I wish everyone could be here, but it's just not possible.

darmomusaf
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Lots of people. We are expecting 70-75 at our dinner. My uncles rent a hall so that our whole extended family can be together. So aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. It is such a great time. Like a mini family reunion. My Gram started this tradition and we all like to continue it!

teaching1972
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:46 AM

We will go to my MIL house........as usual.  My FIL just passed away at 91 and we thought it would be better to go to her house as she too is 91.  She has always been very selfish about all holidays being celebrated at her house.  Last year it was held at our house because she had been ill.  First time in 42 years of marriage that Thanksgiving was anywhere but her house.  There will be 17 of  us.  We did say this year would be paper everything. My husband has said for years it would be cheaper to take everyone out to eat rather than fix all the food we do.  I am not sure the rest of the family  would want that.  Oh, well, I just try to remember that I am thankful for my own family and the blessings I have been given.  Surely I can endure this for my DH who is such a good man.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)