Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Can't Wait Until Tomorrow - UPDATE

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM
  • 15 Replies

This morning, I had two things scheduled:

1) a service man was to come and fix a problem with the hood fan, which is quite new and under warranty.  The lights wouldn't go out in the fan, and when  he came previously, he toldl me had to order  the part, and replace a control panel inside.   We had scheduled this for this morning.  He called at 8:30 and said he could come 4 -6 PM.   Oh good, just when I was wanting to use the stove to make dinner.   So I asked him to come in the AM another day, and he said he would, but hasn't gotten back to me about when.  Update - he just called and said "can I come at 5:00?"   Uh, no.  

2)  We had three new dressers, two 45 " long, and one taller, narrow one, custom made of solid wood, painted white, with a light distress to the paint, and they were to be delivered this morning.   Well, they were brought, through the pouring rain, about noon, and they aren't white, they are cream.  They are beautiful, but they are cream!  We already have similar white painted night stands, and I pointed out to the guy in the store a piece they had,  and stated I wanted that colour.  Also with the  taller dresser, I can't open the drawers without  almost pulling the whole unit open, they are so tight.   I called the store, got one of the owners, and he made it sound like I had a problem.  He said, if the colour is wrong, that's why people should come and have a look at the finished pieces before delivery.  I said that nobody suggested that to us, to which he replied, "that goes without saying".  WTF.  Oh, and did I mention that we paid $4000 for these dressers to be custom made?  Anyhow, he said the dressers could be picked up, painted white, and they would fix the drawers.  So these young delivery guys are going to come back tomorrow.   In the meantime, we got rid of the previous dressers yesterday, and we thought our clothes would only be sitting around for one day until the new pieces came.  In retrospect, I should have not accepted them as it was obvious they were not the colour I specified, but I didn't know what to do.  Oh well.  This day has been kind of a write off.   

The guy who is replacing the part in the stove hood fan called and asked if he could come this morning, so he showed up.  I left him in the kitchen, went upstairs for about 20 minutes and he called me.  I thought "oh good, he's done".  Wrongo.  He said the part wouldn't fit, it was the wrong one, and would have to be reordered (another couple of weeks), and then he would come back.  I was ticked and asked how, when there is a model number for EVERYTHING these days, could the wrong part be ordered.  I said it was invconvenient that this was happening, and he replied "well imagine how I feel, having to come back again".  I was so pissed I said "Well, lets make it all about you".   He backed down and was nicer after that.  I don't know who really screwed up the order and probably never will.  I am kind of fed up with workers this week.   

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM

No it doesn't "go without saying" that a customer should come in and look at the finished pieces. :(    I know what you mean about being confused about accepting delivery.  I hope they can get it right this time.

We bought a nice dining room table, and when it was delivered I could see that the pedestal legs weren't right and the two halves of the table had enough of a tilt that a dish would be tilted on it. I pointed these problems out to the delivery people and they said call the store and left. So I called the store and they did send an inspector out who said the legs were no big deal (!!!) and the uneven join was hardly noticeable.  As he was walking out I showed him some scratches on the edge of the table and said I guess there's nothing that can be done about these? and he said that they were enough to get a replacement table. The new table had edges that matched and legs that were pointed the right way.

caro100
by Carol on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Had several of thowse days lately.  Hope things go better tomorrow.

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Barb, I am glad that you ended up with what you ordered.  I hope that our furniture turns out all right in the end as well.   I looked all over for dressers, but everything was mostly cheaply made mass produced stuff, or the few good quality wood pieces I saw didn't come in white and weren't the sizes I wanted. The two dressers I just got rid of were light weight pine, and I had them for 40 years, bought when I lived at home with my parents.  So I really wanted to get exactly what I had in mind when we got new ones.  

Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:06 PM

You'll be so happy to have them after going to all of that trouble. Good luck!

Quoting DesignGirl450:

Barb, I am glad that you ended up with what you ordered.  I hope that our furniture turns out all right in the end as well.   I looked all over for dressers, but everything was mostly cheaply made mass produced stuff, or the few good quality wood pieces I saw didn't come in white and weren't the sizes I wanted. The two dressers I just got rid of were light weight pine, and I had them for 40 years, bought when I lived at home with my parents.  So I really wanted to get exactly what I had in mind when we got new ones.  

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Hope tomorrow is better. Wow $4000 for dressers, I don't think all the furniture in my house is worth that much LOL

jabs54
by Jeanine on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Oh man!!!  That really stinks :(

homeskoolmama
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:10 PM

4000 dollars shot, I'd be very upset and throwing a fit. Glad you can take it so well.

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Quoting homeskoolmama:

4000 dollars shot, I'd be very upset and throwing a fit. Glad you can take it so well.

Well, I wasn't very happy earlier.  However, they are taking them back and painting the correct colour, etc. so will soon get the ones I wanted.  

hugss
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Sure hope tomorrow everything goes according to plan,
I hate when those kinds of things happen ::sigh::
Good luck & do let us know how it goes :) 

Shellness
by Michell on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:05 AM

Oh my gosh! My husband does custom pieces and that kind of service is crazy!! Yes the pieces are expensive and because you are spending that kind of money they should be kissing your butt and making sure you are happy. smh

There's no telling how long its going to take to refinish them. I can understand the owner being upset because that is a lot of wasted time and money but its THEIR fault, not yours.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)