Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

I need your thoughts on this problem

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:45 PM
  • 12 Replies

My boss hired her neighbor to work at the shop with me. She is a little person. My boss wanted to teach her a trade so she could take care of herself in the future. My boss also did this because the girl is the granddaughter of her best friend that has passed away. 

I know this girl because she is also a member of my extended family. Not really related to me but still a "cousin" to my kids. 

She is lazy. SUPER lazy. She has no natural talent for the work. I have to redo most of what she does. When I have her do something she moans (literally) and groans about it. She is not excited about the work. 

She is NOT going to be the help I need when I am busy. She is super slow. All day she greened out 4 things and put flowers in 1 thing! Today, 40 minutes before it was time for her to leave she sat down and was "finished" for the day. I had to make her do something and told her she could not just sit on the clock doing nothing. I gave up finally and sent her home 10 minutes early. I should have sent her home an hour early. 

I have to tell my boss about it but I'm nervous. I dont want the girl to be mad at me either. Its upsetting! I can't stand to work with someone lazy when I'm busting my buns though.

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maddie24
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Be have to be honest and tell your boss what is going on.  Your boss may still want you to work with her - but your boss just needs to understand that it is taking extra time.  I find that part of my job is doing the ridiculous - but if that is what they want me to do - I guess I will and get paid for it. 

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Sounds liek you are going to have to talk to your boss, tell her that no mater how hard you try, the girl jsut doesn't seem motivated tolear the trade an may not be as interested in it as she appears.

Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:27 PM

The boss needs to know.  Good luck!

jabs54
by Jeanine on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Oh crap!  I'm sorry you are in this position.  I agree, you have to tell your boss.  Good luck and keep us posted.

homeskoolmama
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I know she thinks she is helping this girl, but it doesn't sound like she wants to be helped or is appreciative. Sad.

Good luck talking to your boss.

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

It is always a difficult situation when the boss hires friends and relatives, as they often don't work out.  The rest of the staff are frustrated and it puts the boss in the position of having to let somebody go, which can have implications on his personal life an relationships.  I have twice been in workplaces where this has happened.  In one, the president hired his brother, who did not do what he was supposed to, and was terminated.  They do not have anything  to do with each other any more which is awkward for their whole family.  This same boss hired the daughter of someone who did a lot of personal work on his home, and she was the stupidest, laziest young person you could imagine.  She also had a really bad attitude towards helping.  I feel for you, Michell, but you need help from someone who is willing to give it.  Sounds like you work very hard already. 

gmadiane
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:34 PM

you have to be honest if she does not want to work you should not have to suffer because of it

hugss
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:10 AM

I agree with this,
Good luck & let us know how it goes :)

Quoting Maddie24:

Be have to be honest and tell your boss what is going on.  Your boss may still want you to work with her - but your boss just needs to understand that it is taking extra time.  I find that part of my job is doing the ridiculous - but if that is what they want me to do - I guess I will and get paid for it. 

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I think you deffinitly need to talk to your boss. And it maybe because this girl is friends or connected to both of you in some way she thinks she dosen't have to "really" work. But the way I look at it if she wants the paycheck she needs to do the work.

If you're still having to do most of the work,plus the added stress of trying to get her to do anything,it isn't fair to you. Your boss needs to know there is a problem and she needs to take care of it.

Wish you luck and hope things work out for all of you.

boy n girlfrom me and mine

Shellness
by Michell on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:53 AM

I'm going to have to say something because I am going to need better help for the Christmas rush. I'll talk to her tomorrow. Then its up to her to do what she thinks is best I guess.

Quoting kuntrylady56:

I think you deffinitly need to talk to your boss. And it maybe because this girl is friends or connected to both of you in some way she thinks she dosen't have to "really" work. But the way I look at it if she wants the paycheck she needs to do the work.

If you're still having to do most of the work,plus the added stress of trying to get her to do anything,it isn't fair to you. Your boss needs to know there is a problem and she needs to take care of it.

Wish you luck and hope things work out for all of you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)