Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

I need your help ladies; suggestions for a Christmas gift for my son's girlfriend!

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:16 AM
  • 23 Replies

I really am not good at this and could use some help. Twice before with women my son has been dating at the holidays I have felt I didn't do a good job with this. Now Christmas is coming and I am dreading it because I don't know what to get her. We are Pagans and celebrate the Solstice but celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah in a secular, cultural way as I was raised Jewish and my husband was raised Lutheran. Within the family we only exchange small "stocking stuffer" or small Hanukkah type gifts and a few special food treats and I've gotten her a bunch of those already but I think I should get her one nicer, bigger type gift so that I don't feel bad if she gets gifts for us. PLEASE IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE HEARING THEM. FYI - She is an EMT like my son and so wears a uniform so I can't get her "work" type accessories or jewelry and while I understand that gifting isn't a trade off of equal stuff and that it's the thought that counts the situation with a son's girlfriend is a bit different and it can be so awkward.

UPDATE - I really appreciate the suggestions. I will consider a gift card although I have no idea where she would enjoy shopping. As for the creams and lotions and such she just went to Bath and Body Works and bought herself literally a load of such things because she likes them so much and they were on sale, she actually gave me some, so that's out...lol...that's the problem these days with people they just buy stuff and so it's hard to get them gifts.

UPDATE II - Thank you all for all the suggestions. I haven't decided what exactly to do yet. I just spoke to my son on the phone and made him promise we could talk about this so I could kind of pick his brain. He's in the midst of something of a crisis in this area as well and is considering returning the Pandora bracelet he already got her...we are quite a pair aren't we?

To answer the question, my son has been dating this woman for something less than a year. I know that because I didn't have to deal with getting her a gift last year. I don't want to be a whiny mother but the issue of his girlfriends and gifting have made me feel so inadequate and awkward. I'm not sure that either my husband or the "girlfriends" noticed or cared much but my son knows how I feel and I really wanted to do better this year.

And just so you all can share the laughs I'll tell you one of the stories...One of the girlfriends showed up at our house on Christmas Day with not only a rather generous gift for both my husband and I individually but with both homemade and specialty bakery delicacies, gifts for us from her family, and a selection of stocking stuffers to boot. I felt like Ebenezer Scrooge in the face of the holiday spirit of the Cratchett Family.

FINAL UPDATE - Well I still haven't talked to my son about this, he's been working alot, several 24 hour shifts this week and since I am worried about gifts arriving in time I just made my decision and went ahead and ordered stuff. For the stocking stuffers I got her some slipper socks for her to wear in the bunk room on the 24 hour shifts, an annual ornament from Pier 1, a hopefully nice fashion scarf (I ordered it on line so I'll have to wait and see when it comes.), and two silicone baking pan liners (She likes to cook.), I also got her a glass tea for one set (She likes tea but my son doesn't drink tea so I thought this would be nice for her.), and a $50 gift card for Bath and Body Works (She just bought a load of stuff on sale but she said it is a favorite place and so I thought the next time she wants something she can use the card. I will also get her some candy, hopefully my son will know what she might like. I hope I've covered it and that she'll like the gifts.

Thank you all for all the suggestions and help, I really appreciate it. I wish all of you the best for whatever holiday you celebrate. May you know the blessings of the winter dark, the stars in the clear, cold night sky, the sparkle of freshly fallen snow, the warmth of fire, and the company of those you care about most.

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lyngerdam
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Macy's gift cards always work.

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:52 AM
I was thinking gift card. How long has your son and this lady been dating? That would deterime how much I would put on the gift card.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:03 AM

a pretty basket with an assortment of lotions is always nice.  And not the pre-boxed stuff either!  You can go to Walmart or Dollar General and get body lotion, oils, body scrub, shampoos, etc. fairly inexpensively but it's the thought that counts!  Putting together an assortment yourself shows you took the time to think about her during this busy holiday season.  Other ideas - a coffee mug along with a bag of "exotic" coffee if she's a coffee drinker, or an imported or fancy hot cocoa if she's not.  Ear warmers.  Cute mittens.  Fuzzy slippers. 

For young ladies I just think of what I'd like to get and then go crazy.  lol. 

louannwilkins
by Louann on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:33 AM

My ex dil is a paramedic and volunteer fire fighter and she always enjoys things that have to do with her job.  Like I went to hallmark and found a coffee mug about fire fighter/ ems workers and you'd have thought I gave her a million dollars.  Maybe try that avenue?  It's all I can think of right now.  Good luck

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Maybe a gift certificate for a pedicure, cute pjs, gift card for Itunes, Starbuck's gc, cute socks or tights, scarf and hat. Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby? I love to give a gift of one of their reusable bags filled with snacks, sweet treats, spices, and other interesting foods.

Now, can you help me with a gift idea for my FIL? lol

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Maybe a gift card to have her nails done,or to the movies or theatre.

boys2men2soon
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:29 AM

A nice hardback coffee table book,  picture frames,  Robe & Slippers,  Scarves and gloves,  pretty trinkets...perhaps Things Remembered has something.      Serving sets are nice, too.   Like a Pitcher with matching drinking glasses on a tray.   A earring tree or necklace tower.

gmadiane
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I would ask your son what she likes and get a gift card for there, maybe a nice restaurant or a spa

Isiswolfe
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:40 AM

A pre paid credit card from your local drug store can be used anywhere 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM

scarf's, gloves, depending where she/they live ..
GC always work :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)