Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

When do you get a Christmas tree....if you get one?

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 5:27 PM
  • 34 Replies

And when do you trim it?  

Do you have a family get together to trim the tree? 

Have you ever done it alone?  Do you get a tree at all anymore?

christmas tree

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LEK19
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Up until last year we always had a real tree. Most years we cut it ourselves and put it up within the first week or two of December. We would have a night when we played Christmas songs and decorated the tree. It was harder to do once the kids started jobs, working around their schedules and it was less exciting for them. When they were gone away from home and on their own, they missed doing it a little. There were a few times when it took a week or so to fully decorate the tree!

Last year we had to use an artificial one in the condo so we are just using that again this year. It was put up with lights last night. We'll probably get around to decorating it on Sunday - the first no-work or other-things-going-on day! Or at least finishing it by then!

One time, when it was just my older daughter and I in the house for Christmas, we put lights on the tree, stood near it and pulled foil streamer and confetti-filled poppers - letting them land where they may! It was really simple and pretty! And fun to do!   

louannwilkins
by Louann on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:21 PM

We've always put ours up right after Thanksgiving.  This year I'm just having several small trees.  Unless Breana talks me into it I'm not having a full size.  It's not usually a family event anymore....just me dragging it out and putting it up and taking it down.  lol

rosebud727
by Rose on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:03 PM

We like to cut a tree down but I knew this weekend was going to be really nasty so we went last weekend when the weather was fabulous.

Boy am I glad, we have been having the mother of all storms that started yesterday and will continue all weekend long.

Now, because last weekend was really too early for me I left the tree outside the first few days and moved it into the garage yesterday so it didn't get wind blown.

Tomorrow I will have my hubby haul it inside and start decorating it.

gmadiane
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I have a fake one and I put it up just after Thanksgiving

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I would love to have a live tree but just can't talk Larry into going and getting one. So I'll be getting our artificial one out tomorrow and setting up and we'll put the lights on Sunday. And let the grand kids help decorate Sunday evening after dinner.  I let them put the unbreakable ones and some they have made down low and all my more expensive and ones I've had for a long time go up higher. Not just because of the kids but because of my furballs who like to knock them off and play with them.

And I have one small one for the master bedroom and one for Kalis room. Hers is a pink one she puts princess decorations on and pink and silver bulbs..it looks so pretty when its done.

And yes I've decorated mine quite a few times by myself which I don't mind because I can be very picky in how I want it to look.lol  christmas treeIf it was up to me I'd have one in every room,yep,even in the bathrooms! Hmmmm...Maybe a couple little fiber optic ones on the counter by the sinks.lol

Phreska
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Now that the nest is empty, and I just kind of want to be rebellious and not decorate this year....I'm actually kind of happy about it. I still will very much enjoy the holiday, as usual.

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:18 PM

I love the trees like kuntrylady.  I do not have real trees - too much trouble for me.  I have a 8 foot pencil tree that I love,  It is pre-lit and has twigs and pinecones nestled in some of the limbs.  I have a few other trees that I have in other rooms of the house.  I guess it is the lights and glass ornaments that out me in the Christmas spirit.  I set them up alone the day after Thanksgiving and take them all down the day after Christmas.  Same thing every year. 

darmomusaf
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 6:58 AM

We usually put up five artificial trees of various sizes and then a real one too!  Not sure about the real one this year, so much going on that I don't know if we will have time to go and get one! I love the smell of the tree and fun of decorating. Since the kids are grown, usually hubby and I do most of the decorating! And we will be working hard on this all weekend!

gonecrazi
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Got a new tree yesterday. I let 10 y/o help decorate it. 

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I can't do real trees due to my allergies. The kids and I like docorationthe tree together, Mark doesn't even like Christmas so he just sits and watches.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)