Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Need some more ideas for the sewing box

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:54 AM
  • 32 Replies

My youngest daughter wants a sewing notion box for Christmas this year. Last year I got the oldest a good basic sewing machine that she loves. I asked my younger daughter, do you want a sewing machine too or just the sewing box? Nope just the sewing box.

I have this fantastic box from Bernina that my husband got me years ago. I haven't found another like it of course.

So far I have placed needles, a seem ripper, assorted colored threads, pins, two types of sissors, pin cushions, a tape measure and a small metal measure guide, sewing pencil and finger guard in the box. 

Any one have a must have idea that I should place in that box?

by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Thimble. That's what you are calling a finger guard, right? That's all that came to mind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
butterflymeme
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
It depends on what she sews, cloths can take different notions than quilts, but you could always add fabric
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KittyGram
by Becky on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:06 AM
If she sews clothing, you could add elastic, buttons, , etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rosebud727
by Rose on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM

lol, yes. My brain isn't fully woken up yet. Thank you! hahaha.

Quoting Cindy18:

Thimble. That's what you are calling a finger guard, right? That's all that came to mind.

rosebud727
by Rose on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I forgot I did add a few bags of buttons, but the elastic is a good one, thanks.

Quoting KittyGram:

If she sews clothing, you could add elastic, buttons, , etc.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Assorted feet for the sewing machine.  One for straight stitching, one for zig-zag, one for zippers.

Does anyone use tracing paper any more?  for transferring things like darts, notches, etc from pattern to fabric?  If so, then tracing paper and a tracing wheel.

Extra bobbins for the sewing machine, and a bobbin keeper.  I have about a dozen bobbins already filled with various colors of thread so I can skip loading a bobbin for the most part.

rosebud727
by Rose on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:10 AM

This is more of a sewing box for repair or alterations.  No quilting, I sure do admire quilters though. 

Quoting butterflymeme:

It depends on what she sews, cloths can take different notions than quilts, but you could always add fabric

rosebud727
by Rose on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:12 AM

This daughter only wanted the sewing box with assorted repair alteration items. Silly girl, but I get it. She's a college student so the sewing machine needs to wait.

I like the tracing wheel though, I can get that for the other daughter who did get a sewing machine last year.

Quoting suzeebloch:

Assorted feet for the sewing machine.  One for straight stitching, one for zig-zag, one for zippers.

Does anyone use tracing paper any more?  for transferring things like darts, notches, etc from pattern to fabric?  If so, then tracing paper and a tracing wheel.

Extra bobbins for the sewing machine, and a bobbin keeper.  I have about a dozen bobbins already filled with various colors of thread so I can skip loading a bobbin for the most part.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Oh, and maybe put a picture in there of the two of you!  or something completely NON SEWING that she can treasure and keep in her sewing box that will remind her fondly of you!   My sewing box still has items in it from when I used to sew a lot for my kids and each time I open that box, I smile.  Sequins and beads, still in their original packaging from Jessica's "fairy princess" dress I sewed for her when she was only 6 years old.  Patches I always MEANT to sew on Johnny's little coveralls (a NASA one and a cute little bunny one) but never got around to it.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM

buttons, seam tape, elastic, zipeers, bobbins

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)