Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

A request this Christmas...

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:45 AM
  • 28 Replies

My son and his wife have been married a year and a half. This year they have asked to not exchange Christmas gifts. They are 23 my son and his wife 20. That they are at a point like we are that we have everything we want or we can get it when we want it.

I am OK with the idea. Just I have a 22 year old daughter that will be coming home from college for Christmas and she still wants to exchange gifts. Which my husband I want to too.

I have doubled checked with my son and his wife to confirm no gifts and that we will still be getting his sister something and I don't want them to be upset or feel she is our favorite. She did not ask to not do Christmas or neither have we. 

Christmas Eve the three of us and our son will get together for dinner. So, no pressure should be had with not having gifts to open.

Christmas morning it will be our daughter and us so that is when we will do gifts. Which will just be a few things but something. So, they won't be left out. We may see them that day but they should be at his in laws. So, I feel it could go well. It is just different. 

Its great at such a young age they want to focus on time together, we will go see Christmas lights etc together. And Christmas Eve our family. 

Its just different. 

by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GaleJ
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 2:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I would honor their request except that in your place I would give them something that I had baked, perhaps my son's favorite cake, some cookies, or a loaf of bread. I don't feel that compromises their request but still shows you were thinking of them. As to the request itself I can understand their feeling about this. My husband and I have been through many phases over the years, gifting, not gifting, as well as limited gifting and really we still haven't found the level with which we can be comfortable.  

caro100
by Carol on Dec. 2, 2012 at 2:42 AM

I think this is good and it can take a lot of pressure off so you can enjoy the holidays more.  My husband and i tried for years to initiate no gift exchange, except for the young kids, this did not go over well, so we continued to get gits thatpeople didn't need or necessarily want.

darmomusaf
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 6:16 AM

This year, DD will be graduating 10 days before Christmas and we told her with the extra expenses of that, we would not be doing a lot of Christmas gifts. She was fine with that and gave us a short list of baking dishes and some other household things that she would like. DS has not been home for Christmas for four years, so we often just do dinner with him when he is able to get here and then go shopping if there is something that he needs. The kids still try to get something for us, but we are at a point that we would just like to have them both here at one time and those moments are very few and far between!

momma-t42
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids also do not want to exchange gifts with one another, and frankly, I'd rather they save their money but came up with an idea of sale shopping the day after Christmas, wrap them up and have a fun little gift opening on New Years day..

I also buy what I want when I want and feel for my kids who think they need to purchase for me when they don't. But I will still give them a gift and not expect one in return.  

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I think it's great that they aren't wanting gifts and wanting to focus on time together. 

I wish more younger people thought like that.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Sounds like you have it all worked out and everyone will be happy for the holidays!  But I agree - it is so different now that the kids are grown up.  Thank goodness for pictures of Christmases past!

Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:10 AM

We had a similar situation and I still gave gifts and did not expect to receive gifts.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:31 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I like this idea :)

Quoting GaleJ:

I would honor their request except that in your place I would give them something that I had baked, perhaps my son's favorite cake, some cookies, or a loaf of bread. I don't feel that compromises their request but still shows you were thinking of them. As to the request itself I can understand their feeling about this. My husband and I have been through many phases over the years, gifting, not gifting, as well as limited gifting and really we still haven't found the level with which we can be comfortable.  

homeskoolmama
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:37 AM

It is different, but I think it says alot about their character. They do not focus on 'stuff'. Nice.

gmadiane
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I think its very nice

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)