Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

My son and his wife have been married a year and a half. This year they have asked to not exchange Christmas gifts. They are 23 my son and his wife 20. That they are at a point like we are that we have everything we want or we can get it when we want it.

I am OK with the idea. Just I have a 22 year old daughter that will be coming home from college for Christmas and she still wants to exchange gifts. Which my husband I want to too.

I have doubled checked with my son and his wife to confirm no gifts and that we will still be getting his sister something and I don't want them to be upset or feel she is our favorite. She did not ask to not do Christmas or neither have we. 

Christmas Eve the three of us and our son will get together for dinner. So, no pressure should be had with not having gifts to open.

Christmas morning it will be our daughter and us so that is when we will do gifts. Which will just be a few things but something. So, they won't be left out. We may see them that day but they should be at his in laws. So, I feel it could go well. It is just different. 

Its great at such a young age they want to focus on time together, we will go see Christmas lights etc together. And Christmas Eve our family. 

Its just different. 

by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:45 AM
Replies (21-28):
BigAsTexas
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM

We started a tradition in my family when my boys were very young.  We did this to encourage the siblings to think about someone other than themselves at Christmas.  We gave them each $20.00.  The had to get a $5.00 present for their brothers and us (which makes 4 gifts for them to buy).  They had to think of what each person would want or need and we took them shopping.  These quickly became everyones favorite presents every year.  When they got a little bit older and had part time jobs, they told us they didn't need for our $20.00 anymore and bought presents on their own for our family.  We still insisted on the $5.00 limit.  Some favorites: pokemon cards, socks with skateboarding company emblem, earrings to match a green sweater, french milled soap, calendar with a bulldogs (our family dog), frames, Itunes card, Sonic card, tie, flashlight for a "new" car, cookbook for my new crockpot, etc.  It takes some thought to get everyone something meaningful and that was what we were trying to accomplish.  I look forward to this exchange every year because to me it shows that the boys put some thought into it.  Santa still comes for them from us, but truly not as lovely as these gifts. 

sunshine97325
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Yes, that is Todd. He is 15 years old. He is just a "love bug!" Today he went to the groomer and is fixed up for Christmas. So soft and smells good. His paws are trimmed and looks like cat paw. Thank you for the compliment!!!!

Quoting Maddie24:

It sounds like it will go fine.   I think the baking idea is great too.  I hope it all goes well.

A bit off topic - I believe that is a pomeranian with the cat?  Beautiful!!

sunshine97325
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Yes, we did get something  for our Grand Dog!! My son and wife are actually trying to concieve so maybe next Christmas we will have a grand baby to shop for???

Quoting mamamiajk:

My son and his wife have asked this too. I still have bought for the grandchildren and am looking forward to seeing everyone.christmas tree

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Quoting sunshine97325:

Yes, that is Todd. He is 15 years old. He is just a "love bug!" Today he went to the groomer and is fixed up for Christmas. So soft and smells good. His paws are trimmed and looks like cat paw. Thank you for the compliment!!!!

Quoting Maddie24:

It sounds like it will go fine.   I think the baking idea is great too.  I hope it all goes well.

A bit off topic - I believe that is a pomeranian with the cat?  Beautiful!!

He is absolutely beautiful.  I had a Pomeranion when I was young.  I usually have dogs in pairs - so I had a yorkie and the pom.  The pom was such a sweetie and the yorkie was a real rowdy rascal!!   I love dogs. They add so much to my life and they are great companions!!! 

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:41 PM

It sounds like you have it all planned out where everyone will be happy. If you still feel uncomfortable with not giving them a gift,the idea of baking them something you know they both like is a great idea and maybe a bottle of nice wine. And if they are there on Christmas morning maybe you could give them a Christmas card or a little wrapped box with a gift certificate in it to their special resturaunt or a nightout at the theatre.

sunshine97325
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I think we will be OK. They should not be here for Christmas morning, that is when we will give our daughter her gifts and she hers to us. And if we do see them on Christmas it will be after dinner. I just don't want them to come back and say you didn't give us anything. His wife would be the one to do that. It was her idea not to exchange anyways. He would have. We will see how it goes this year.  The baked idea is good. I can take something just for them, on Christmas eve when we go for dinner. 

Quoting kuntrylady56:

It sounds like you have it all planned out where everyone will be happy. If you still feel uncomfortable with not giving them a gift,the idea of baking them something you know they both like is a great idea and maybe a bottle of nice wine. And if they are there on Christmas morning maybe you could give them a Christmas card or a little wrapped box with a gift certificate in it to their special resturaunt or a nightout at the theatre.

CoeyG
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:56 PM

The only reason people think not giving gifts at this time is odd is the fact that the retailers have everyone brainwashed that we can not celebrate the season without going broke.  

sunshine97325
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I am Ok with not giving gifts. Or pick an amount that we want to spend. I just don't want them to come back one day and say you didn't do anything for us this last Christmas. That is my issue. I would be OK if we never exchange gifts with anyone during the holiday. Just spend time together during a nice meal. 

Quoting CoeyG:

The only reason people think not giving gifts at this time is odd is the fact that the retailers have everyone brainwashed that we can not celebrate the season without going broke.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN