Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

WWYD?

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:37 AM
  • 34 Replies

If your 19 year old DS was having an outpatient surgery, his girlfriend was there with him and you got called into work? 

~~CINDY

by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:47 AM

If you can't get off from work, then is there another family member who could be there?

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:54 AM

You had it off work but then another employee called in sick and your work called you to come in. 

No one else is there with him except his 19 year old girlfriend. No other relatives are willing to be there.

Quoting Bmat:

If you can't get off from work, then is there another family member who could be there?

jabs54
by Jeanine on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I guess it would depend on what kind of job I had.  What do you do?

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I agree with Jeanine - what type of job do you have?  You had already scheduled the day off work - it's not your problem the other employee called in sick!   So - if you had called in sick that day - throwing up and fevers and chills - and the other employee called in sick, too, would they call you back to work? 

However, also depending on the type of outpatient surgery and the fact the GF is there - I might consider going into work.

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:12 AM

First, It's not me. It's my DD's BF that had the surgery. His mom is a lunch mom at the high school. And she went into work instead of being there at that hospital.

He was having surgery on his rotator cuff that has been an on-going issue for about 2 years now. 

Quoting jabs54:

I guess it would depend on what kind of job I had.  What do you do?

nana9106
by Darlene on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Well, when my mom was sick I had to go to work. I wanted to be there with her and I knew that we didn't have much time left. BUT the reality is...I needed my job. We needed the income before she got sick and we would need it after it was over. I just couldn't afford to lose my job.

Maybe it is the same for the mom...she needs her job to pay bills. I'm sorry your DDs BF is sick, but the mom has an obligation to be at work if nobody can cover for her. It is just good work ethic.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

So was mom able to get back to the hospital to pick up her son?  Being a lunch mom you'd think she could do that. 

I don't think someone is REQUIRED to be at the hospital during the procedure but someone needs to be able to take him home.  I had outpatient sinus surgery a few years ago (of course I'm a grown-ass woman, not 19) but my friend Lance took me there and dropped me off and then my dad came and picked me up since obviously they don't let you drive yourself home.  No one was hanging around waiting for me! 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:51 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:21 AM
2 moms liked this

I would be with my son & tell work I can't make it :)

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Not sure if she was able or not but she didn't. My DD was the only one with him.

I guess I just don't understand this. I would be there. 

If I had taken the day off and it was approved then I would not go in. 

Just me I guess.

Quoting suzeebloch:

So was mom able to get back to the hospital to pick up her son?  Being a lunch mom you'd think she could do that. 

I don't think someone is REQUIRED to be at the hospital during the procedure but someone needs to be able to take him home.  I had outpatient sinus surgery a few years ago (of course I'm a grown-ass woman, not 19) but my friend Lance took me there and dropped me off and then my dad came and picked me up since obviously they don't let you drive yourself home.  No one was hanging around waiting for me! 

~~CINDY

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Maybe she was okay with it since your daughter was there.  I'd probably be like that, too.  But I can understand where you are coming from if it had been your child.  It takes all kinds of people to make the world go 'round! And I agree - if I had taken the day off to be there, I'd want to be there.  Like I mentioned in the scenario before - would work call you back in had you called in sick, too? 

Quoting Cindy18:

Not sure if she was able or not but she didn't. My DD was the only one with him.

I guess I just don't understand this. I would be there. 

If I had taken the day off and it was approved then I would not go in. 

Just me I guess.

Quoting suzeebloch:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN