Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Next Friday we go and pick up our daughter from college for Christmas break. Well her boyfriend is also at the same college and she is asking if he can come home with her for the whole 4 weeks since he has no family to speak of to spend the holiday's with.. I have no issues with her boyfriend he is a neat kid. I am just not sure if I want him here for the whole 4 weeks. What do you think?

Just wanted to give a update on how this went. Let me just say I have never met a more polite 19 year old in my life. It was no problem having him here for the whole break. We got to see how he really treated our daughter and let me tell you he worships the ground she walks on he would do anything for her.  He and she followed our rules to a tee and even went out of their way to help out, We took them both to their destinations on Sat and were sad to see them both go. My hubby told him your welcome at our house anytime and gave the kid a hug!!! My hubby don't do that with just anyone. Thank you everyone for the opinions!!!!!!!!

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:57 PM
Replies (21-30):
passionatebren
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:38 PM

We have decided to let him stay the 4 weeks. There will be strict rules of course. My hubby says this way he can get to know him better and see if he is good enough for his daughter. I will make the best of the situation. I don't want anyone alone during the holidays and this would be a good way for him to see how a family is together during the holidays!

CoeyG
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Just make sure he is willing to follw the rules of your home and let your daughter know that he isnt to expect to be waited on, that when he makes a mess he is expected to clean it up and he is expected to chip in and help out around the house as she is as well.  Also let your daughter know it wouldn't hurt if he chipped in and helped out with the food budget as well, not a who lot but purchase a couple gallons of milk, things like that.  Maybe spring for pizza even.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:12 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Tough call,
If there was somewhere he could go after the first week maybe?
I know it woule bother me too but I also wouldn' like the idea of him being alone either
Let us know what you decide to do :)

Join us at 

Time Out for You

suesues
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:14 AM

no way just a few days for the holiday

homeskoolmama
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:51 AM

mmmm I understand. I don't think I'd want him for the whole 4 weeks either. How serious are they? Is this a future SIL? If so, I'd have to consider that. If he is just a bf, I think I'd ask if he could come for 2 weeks and go to another friends for 2 weeks.

May not be a popular answer, but it is what would be running through my head.

However, as many times as we have let people live with us, he would most likely end up here the whole time.

EireLass
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:19 AM
I would say only 1 week. Then it's up to him to find a way to go someplace else.
passionatebren
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Thanks for all the replies and opinions. Like I said we have decided to let him stay the whole 4 weeks. She says this is the person who she will marry once she is finished with school. So with that said maybe start a new family tradition with him and call it good? I will keep you all posted on the progress of those weeks and if I am ready to pull my hair out!!! lol

KittyGram
by Becky on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Check and see how much a one-way bus ticket would cost, and let him come along for a week.  I don't blame you for not wanting him there for the full 4 weeks, and I also understand why she doesn't want him to be alone. 

jabs54
by Jeanine on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I would not let him stay for 4 weeks.  I would let him stay the week of Christmas and then send him back on the bus.

tinysmom160
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM

open your arms and heart.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)