Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

How young is too young?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:57 PM
  • 26 Replies

First let me state that  yes, I know this is CM we're talking about and there are some people who are trolls and will post things or make replies for the shock value. There are others that will lie to avoid looking bad, to feel superior,  or out of jealousy but I hope that the majority are being honest (although I take all posts with a grain of salt).

While surfing CM lately I have seen tons of posts on "What are you getting your kids for Christmas" of something along those lines and I can't believe the number of mom claiming they are getting their  3, 4, 5, ECT year olds I-pads, I- pods, tablets, kindles, laptops or something equally outrageous.

I was just wondering how young is too young, in your opinion for these types of items? Does a 7 or 8 year old really need a cell phone with all the bells and whistles? Wouldn't you be worried about said child losing a big ticket item like that? Or having some bully steal it, even if they are "mature" for their age and extremely responsible?

Click on my siggy to help find a cure for cancer!

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nana9106
by Darlene on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM
I think for something like and ipad 5-12 is too young.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momma-t42
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I try to be fair when I hear of families who do this...mostly because I know I could get bashed by someone who disagrees.

But frankly the people who buy their little ones such gifts are, in my opinion, LAZY parents who would rather toss their kids a small yet very expensive form of entertainment so they can keep their kids busy and out of their hair.

They set a horrible example to other playmates of children as the little ones are growing up with a fight for having the best stuff...when in reality, those little ones would rather have more time interacting with their parents rather than have and Ipad shoved in front of them.

Again, I know I risk getting bashed, but I think parents like these are the reason I work in a group home for troubled teens.  I'll be seeing there children there in a few years.

To each is own on the age thing...but if I ever had a platform to help parents stand their ground in such extravagant gifts...They will pay a higher cost when the teenage years roll around and the teens are bored with technology and move on to drugs.  Just saying.

In addition, my girls weren't even allowed a cell phone until high school...and text messaging along with internet access on their phone was blocked until they graduated from high school.  My 21 year old coorporate working daughter has never owned a computer, and my 19 daughter in college does not have a computer or own a laptop...I refuse to purchase them such gifts...they can save their money and buy their own...but they were never allowed a computer in their rooms nor a tv....  Too Strict???  Ya, my girls thought so too, as did other parents.. but, they're pretty good girls...and have to work for their own stuff just as I work for mine.  And yet, they still have a sense of entitlement in lue of us not giving them everything just because everyone else has it.

Rileyscute
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:15 PM
My son got an ipod at 7...for communication, he is nonverbal...he does take pretty decent care with it...it can really be a lifeline for him...having said that...we are going to have to get him an ipad..that's what the schools are using..and frankly it burns my ass..as apple is so proprietary about their programs which android servers just don't have...sigh...

But under normal circumstances..I completely agree..

My kids don't have the latest and greatest and most expensive anything...
louannwilkins
by Louann on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow....you know even if I could afford to buy it for my grandkids I wouldn't.  I personally think it's ridiculous.  Now one of the other ladies said she bought an ipad for her son at 7 because he's non verbal....to  me that's different.  My grandkids are getting things like dolls and trucks and a little bike and books.  That's the kind of things they should get in my opinion.  As far as a cell phone for a 7 or 8 year old...ridiculous in my opinion.  Wow is all I can say. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:28 PM
I got mine Ipods when they were teens. I personally think it is outrageous. I can see having a 7 yo using mom or dad's ipad or ipod in the parents presence. Not letting them have full reign. I did not get my girls a computer till they graduated hs. We can afford these things also. They are not necessary and they did fine without them. They did not get a phone till hs either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadySaphira
by Lisa on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Your reason is completely valid. It is essential for his social and academic skills. Getting a young child one just because their fiends have one, "they want one", to show off how much you can afford to spend, or  what a "awesome" parent you are is not a good reason. 

Quoting Rileyscute:

My son got an ipod at 7...for communication, he is nonverbal...he does take pretty decent care with it...it can really be a lifeline for him...having said that...we are going to have to get him an ipad..that's what the schools are using..and frankly it burns my ass..as apple is so proprietary about their programs which android servers just don't have...sigh...

gonecrazi
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I want my 10 y/o to be a kid for as long as possible,so he is getting stuff boys play with. Action figures, a football, monster trucks. Stuff that encourages his imagination. Why push your kids to grow up. Just so you can brag about what you bought. 

Rileyscute
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:38 PM
We seriously feel forced though to get him an Ipad and we hate that..his ipod just isn't good enough..its expensive..I have a kindle..but the apps for him aren't available for the kindle pricepoint...grrrrr.
Ok..done whining..

Quoting LadySaphira:

Your reason is completely valid. It is essential for his social and academic skills. Getting a young child one just because their fiends have one, "they want one", to show off how much you can afford to spend, or  what a "awesome" parent you are is not a good reason. 

Quoting Rileyscute:

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I can understand getting your child their own cell phone when they hit 12 or so, but I think they should be used for calls only. (Calling a parent to pick them up from sports practice, and to talk to a select few friends) I do not think the phone need to have Internet access or even texting. 

As far as i-pods are concerned, why not get them a cheap MP3 player until they are 15 or 16 and can be a bit more  responsible for their items.  My girls at the ages of 20 and 22 share a laptop that A bought with her own money in September and Roo gets on my desktop so that he can be properly supervised. He will not have his own laptop until he is much older if ever.

A also bought herself a tablet that she lets Casey use on occasion, Roo plays a couple games on my kindle but there is now way I would buy him a tablet or kindle for himself at his age.

My friend Penny's daughters both have a laptop, i-pads, and i-pods at the ages of 14 and 17. They are always wanting more  and better, the 17 yr old will literally throw fits because someone she knows has the newest version and she doesn't. It makes me sick.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I understand your frustration and it isn't fair that they require a specific brand of item. What if the parent does not have the funds for such a thing? The kid looses out. I know there is some way to "side laod" (or something like that) i-pad apps on the kindle but not sure how. They have videos on how on you tube but I think you have to have a cell phone and load the apps on that then transfer them to the kindle.

Quoting Rileyscute:

We seriously feel forced though to get him an Ipad and we hate that..his ipod just isn't good enough..its expensive..I have a kindle..but the apps for him aren't available for the kindle pricepoint...grrrrr.
Ok..done whining..

Quoting LadySaphira:

Quoting Rileyscute:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)