Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First let me state that  yes, I know this is CM we're talking about and there are some people who are trolls and will post things or make replies for the shock value. There are others that will lie to avoid looking bad, to feel superior,  or out of jealousy but I hope that the majority are being honest (although I take all posts with a grain of salt).

While surfing CM lately I have seen tons of posts on "What are you getting your kids for Christmas" of something along those lines and I can't believe the number of mom claiming they are getting their  3, 4, 5, ECT year olds I-pads, I- pods, tablets, kindles, laptops or something equally outrageous.

I was just wondering how young is too young, in your opinion for these types of items? Does a 7 or 8 year old really need a cell phone with all the bells and whistles? Wouldn't you be worried about said child losing a big ticket item like that? Or having some bully steal it, even if they are "mature" for their age and extremely responsible?

Click on my siggy to help find a cure for cancer!

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:57 PM
Replies (21-26):
paknari
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:57 PM
For me it depends. My daughter isn't interested in much of that stuff so I won't get it for her. I would like to get her a leap pad though for the learning games
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nybor48
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:11 PM

my granddaughter is 5, and her mom is getting her a leap pad....which will not leave the house...the 3 y/o got a leapster for his birthday in sept, and the 6 y/o (now 7) got a DS last year for christmas.  None of these items leaves her house so no problem with loss or theft.  That being said...

The whole Ipad, Ipod, cell phones etc.... I would seriously have to make them wait until they were teens...those items are way too expensive to give to children. 

jabs54
by Jeanine on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I think people are doing their kid a disservice by showering them with expensive electronic gifts.  They grow up having to have the latest and greatest.  I feel sorry for their (future) spouses.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I think kids should be kids and do not find the latest electronic gifts age appropriate.   Cell phones, IPads, etc are expensive toys that under 12 year olds do not need unless as in one posters case it is necessary for some health reason.   Kids should be active and playing outside and socializing with playmates instead of  tied of a phone or an electronic game.  Personal opinion, of course, and since my kids are all adults, I am not faced with having to make this decision.   But I do wonder what, if they receive these things at young ages, will be wanting when they get to be teens.

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Quoting momma-t42:

I try to be fair when I hear of families who do this...mostly because I know I could get bashed by someone who disagrees.

But frankly the people who buy their little ones such gifts are, in my opinion, LAZY parents who would rather toss their kids a small yet very expensive form of entertainment so they can keep their kids busy and out of their hair.

They set a horrible example to other playmates of children as the little ones are growing up with a fight for having the best stuff...when in reality, those little ones would rather have more time interacting with their parents rather than have and Ipad shoved in front of them.

Again, I know I risk getting bashed, but I think parents like these are the reason I work in a group home for troubled teens.  I'll be seeing there children there in a few years.

To each is own on the age thing...but if I ever had a platform to help parents stand their ground in such extravagant gifts...They will pay a higher cost when the teenage years roll around and the teens are bored with technology and move on to drugs.  Just saying.

In addition, my girls weren't even allowed a cell phone until high school...and text messaging along with internet access on their phone was blocked until they graduated from high school.  My 21 year old coorporate working daughter has never owned a computer, and my 19 daughter in college does not have a computer or own a laptop...I refuse to purchase them such gifts...they can save their money and buy their own...but they were never allowed a computer in their rooms nor a tv....  Too Strict???  Ya, my girls thought so too, as did other parents.. but, they're pretty good girls...and have to work for their own stuff just as I work for mine.  And yet, they still have a sense of entitlement in lue of us not giving them everything just because everyone else has it.

I totally agree that kids would rather have time  and attention from their parents than fancy gadgets.  It teaches kids to be anti-social, too much sitting, lack of being able to think for themselves, and poorer health due to obesity from inactivity.  We didn't get my daughter a cell phone until she was going into Grade 10, and it was really to keep track of her, i.e, she had to answer so we knew where she was.   Teens and young adults spend too much time on their phones, so the 5 - 12 year olds don't need to start that young. 

CoeyG
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Too young in my opinion is pre high school.  In my opinion no child needs their own computer, an ipod, an itouch, an ipad or an iphone.  No kid needs a tablet or even an phone.  I survived my childhood without a phone and I was involved in afterschool activities etc.  Cellphones weren't around when Shannon was in elementary school and somehow we managed with her in Dance, Girl Scouts, Kung Fu, Soccer, Basketball, School Talent shows and plays and the Guitar band.  Shannon didn't get a phone until she was able to purchase her own and get her own plan.  She didn't get her own computer until she was able to purchase her own at  17 and I supervised and  monitored her web surving  until she had her own computer and could pay for her own dial up internet access because in those days wi fi was too expensive and I could only pay for one cable internet.  Some how she managed to live her life that way and there is no reason a child can't live that way today other than they are demanding and spoiled. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)