Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

My father in law is going to be 92 this year. He is a very young 92, still drives over to the gym and walks with his other buddies in the pool.

He has been an enormous help this year for my husband. I usually get him a Harry and David basket because he likes apples and pears. I always ask each year, "hey do you still like that?" and his reply is yes. However since he has been so supportive this year with my husband I wanted to get something else besides that basket.

Any thoughts? I just don't know what to get. Food is great, but smaller quantities or single servings since he's a widower.

Thanks!

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:37 PM
Replies (21-26):
rosebud727
by Rose on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting rosebud727:

Quoting CoeyG:

I'm thinking that since he has been supportive of you why not a "coupon" book made by your family for him to enjoy sharing time with you guys, A weekly dinner, if it isn't "srs. only" maybe join him for a walk in the pool.  I'm sure he has some wonderful old photos, how about getting with him getting them all straightened out and listening (perhapes recording) his stories about the photos and the times back then.  Give him the gift of your time. 

I would love to do this, but it's a distance issue. He's in Ohio, we're in CA. If he was close by we would see him on a weekly/daily basis. As it is, my husband and his father share weekly phone calls.

We are planning a trip in the Spring.

Okay the coupon book is out then. 

Yes, lol...it was a nice thought though. I found out the other day the steak is out too. He'll destroy it. I'm looking at something like Honey Baked but the portions are huge. I need something in single servings. That's why I love the Harry and David, I just want a little more to add to it this year but not a bunch of popcorn or candy.

I'm really stumped, he doesn't really need anything.

robin7771
Yesterday at 11:16 AM
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Bring him out to CA for 2 weeks to visit. It can be the worst time of the year for old people , plus it would be best time for him.gift

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Maybe some gift certificates for the local resturaunts in his area or tickets to a local sport event?

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Here is a fantastic site i just found called Send A Meal.com. Heres a pic of one of their packakges:

rosebud727
by Rose on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Have you tried this site or the food? I'm a little hesitant about sending from a site I have never used before.

Quoting kuntrylady56:

Here is a fantastic site i just found called Send A Meal.com. Heres a pic of one of their packakges:

homeskoolmama
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

ROTFL

Butt warmer! hahaha

How about hand warmers or the ones that go in your boots?

Quoting rosebud727:

Quoting homeskoolmama:

What about the basket and something personal. Something you know he likes but doesn't buy for himself. A certain food, cologne or book? Maybe he needs a new pair of gloves or a nice scarf?

Here is another issue, we are not the only family. There are 4 other familes that send him stuff plus grandkids!

I was thinking a new hat or something but my SIL said he's got stuff that is new and not used. That was the reason I started doing the fruit baskets with other stuff in them because it's a use it up type item. I thought for sure my husband would say "yeah include some Omaha steaks" wrong! He said both his mom and dad would turn a good piece of meat into leather! lol. 

One year I sent him a seat warmer so his butt stays warm during football games. He loved that!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)