Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

I need some help here...

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:37 PM
  • 26 Replies

My father in law is going to be 92 this year. He is a very young 92, still drives over to the gym and walks with his other buddies in the pool.

He has been an enormous help this year for my husband. I usually get him a Harry and David basket because he likes apples and pears. I always ask each year, "hey do you still like that?" and his reply is yes. However since he has been so supportive this year with my husband I wanted to get something else besides that basket.

Any thoughts? I just don't know what to get. Food is great, but smaller quantities or single servings since he's a widower.

Thanks!

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadySaphira
by Lisa on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

a gas card/ some warm fuzzy slippers? I know not much help am I? I never know what to get people.

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:07 PM
2 moms liked this

How about each time you make a meal between now and x'mas your freeze part of it for him. Label it with heating instructions and date. Take the whole thing over to him and he'll be set for a while?

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe just something as simple as a letter expressing how much you appreciate him and what hes did to help out with your family this year. Sometimes the simplest gifts that are given from the heart are the ones most appreciaated.

rosebud727
by Rose on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Nice idea except I'm in CA and he's in Ohio.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

How about each time you make a meal between now and x'mas your freeze part of it for him. Label it with heating instructions and date. Take the whole thing over to him and he'll be set for a while?

rosebud727
by Rose on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I agree, though I think that letter should probably come from my husband.

Quoting kuntrylady56:

Maybe just something as simple as a letter expressing how much you appreciate him and what hes did to help out with your family this year. Sometimes the simplest gifts that are given from the heart are the ones most appreciaated.

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Food is always a good idea.  Perhaps something gym related?  

teaching1972
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this

How about a new gym bag or a great, fluffy towel to take to the gym?

kam013
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:30 PM
How about the Omaha steaks? We often worry that my MIL is not eating properly so we send her one of the packages from Omaha steaks. They aren't the cheapest products out there, but we have never had an issue with quality and she loves the variety packs. Many of them have steaks, chicken, fish and other items to choose from.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm thinking that since he has been supportive of you why not a "coupon" book made by your family for him to enjoy sharing time with you guys, A weekly dinner, if it isn't "srs. only" maybe join him for a walk in the pool.  I'm sure he has some wonderful old photos, how about getting with him getting them all straightened out and listening (perhapes recording) his stories about the photos and the times back then.  Give him the gift of your time. 

hugss
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Love the idea of the Omaha steaks,
Also a gc of somewhere they he likes to go/eat/shop?
Let us know what you decide :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)