Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

What is the one thing that you tend to receive over and over that you don't need or want?

My mom gives me velour suits,like a jogging suit, I don't wear them and don't want them. sigh...........

gift

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:06 AM
Replies (61-66):
homeskoolmama
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I know, last year I received 4 cookbooks, each one very different and I have not made a think out of any of them.

Quoting JenniferW67:

Cookbooks. I know why people love them, but I find all my recipes online and would rather use the space it takes to store them for something else. People know I love to cook, so they assume I'll love a good cookbook.

homeskoolmama
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:29 PM

hmmm maybe because you are her sons wife, she gives you gifts for him to make him happy because that is what she wants as a mom, her son to be happy. NOT saying he's not happy ,just wondering if that is her reason.

Quoting teaching1972:

Waffle irons.  One year my MIL gave me a waffle iron because my HUSBAND likes waffles.  Ask me if I ever used that stupid thing.  And the answer is not on your life.  It went on a church rummage sale.  Why didn't she give it to him if he liked waffles?  No, he got a lovely shirt and a big check.  I learned lots from her the hard way.

homeskoolmama
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM

lol...my dh gave me a size 10 two months after our youngest was born, I said "was this wishful thinking?" he said, well that's what you were wearing, I was like yeah 8 years and 3 kids ago. poor guys they are so clueless

Quoting tinysmom160:

me too I am large women and he buys me clothes that fit when I was size 4.

Quoting homeskoolmama:

oh man, if he's like mine...When he has bought me clothes, YEARS ago, he bought stuff and i was like WHO did you buy this for?

Quoting tinysmom160:

clothes from my hubby

teaching1972
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Quoting homeskoolmama:

hmmm maybe because you are her sons wife, she gives you gifts for him to make him happy because that is what she wants as a mom, her son to be happy. NOT saying he's not happy ,just wondering if that is her reason.

Quoting teaching1972:

Waffle irons.  One year my MIL gave me a waffle iron because my HUSBAND likes waffles.  Ask me if I ever used that stupid thing.  And the answer is not on your life.  It went on a church rummage sale.  Why didn't she give it to him if he liked waffles?  No, he got a lovely shirt and a big check.  I learned lots from her the hard way.

It is a real shame that she was not thoughtful enough to figure out that the real way to make her son happy would have been to make her DIL feel accepted and appreciated.  That never entered her head.  He was hurt by what she did..........especially since he is not that fond of waffles.laughing

homeskoolmama
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:46 AM

That is a shame. Maybe she never had a good example of a MIL and her self worth might be tied up in her son, so loosing him means loosing her. I don't know.

Anyway, I do hope you have a Merry Christmas and that you get something you want/can use this year.

Quoting teaching1972:

Quoting homeskoolmama:

Quoting teaching1972:

It is a real shame that she was not thoughtful enough to figure out that the real way to make her son happy would have been to make her DIL feel accepted and appreciated.  That never entered her head.  He was hurt by what she did..........especially since he is not that fond of waffles.laughing

Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Oh no! He doesn't even care for waffles?  My MIL got me quirky small appliances and I often found that I enjoyed having them. I suspect your MIL thought that you'd like the gift that would provide something her son likes.

Quoting teaching1972:

Quoting homeskoolmama:

Quoting teaching1972:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)