Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I learned the power of giving when......

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:17 PM
  • 17 Replies

When did you learn the power of giving?  It dosent have to be material things.

Was it when someone gave  or did something for someone that really lifted you up and inspired you or when you gave and in turn encouraged someone?

gift     

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mariagma3
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM

When my grandson was 2, my daughter and SIL needed someone to help out with babysittting. So, I went out to San Diego for like 10 days. It was a rough time, my daughter and I weren't getting along that well. I had never met Justin, he was leery of me, never met me, and here was this person here to take care of him. This isn't about a gift or anything. But, that is when I learned about patience and giving. I love that lil guy! He's now 6!  Justin

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

There have been some very personal experiences in helping both my parents that have truly shown me the blessing in giving of yourself - your time.  I saw my parents as the strongest people in the world.  It was humbling to see them manage their difficulties.  It was an honor to have helped them.  I am blessed they were my parents and miss them terribly. 

momma-t42
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this
He is soo handsome!! He's gonna be a heartbreaker for sure!

Quoting Mariagma3:

When my grandson was 2, my daughter and SIL needed someone to help out with babysittting. So, I went out to San Diego for like 10 days. It was a rough time, my daughter and I weren't getting along that well. I had never met Justin, he was leery of me, never met me, and here was this person here to take care of him. This isn't about a gift or anything. But, that is when I learned about patience and giving. I love that lil guy! He's now 6!  Justin

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momma-t42
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I learned the power in giving some years back when my husbands company began giving out end of the year bonuses. We were then able to financially help out others...
As far as giving of my time?, that came last year when I started out by volunteering at the group home I now work at. It has made a huge impact on my life... Probably more than the girls who reside there.
I'm kind of embarrassed it took me so long to develop such meaningful experiences... But for years we were very poor, and without family living anywhere close by, we've done everything on our own which caused me to be extremely inward focused.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Esmrlda
by Esme on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Hes gorgeous!  So you gave an act of service.  Sweet, my favorite kind! My love language is acts of service so I often try and offer my services to those that I think need it.  Patience and Giving are so important.

Quoting Mariagma3:

Esmrlda
by Esme on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Im so sorry for your loss and  you rock I couldnt imagine what that would be like as I am not there yet. Im sure it wont be easy.

Quoting Maddie24:

There have been some very personal experiences in helping both my parents that have truly shown me the blessing in giving of yourself - your time.  I saw my parents as the strongest people in the world.  It was humbling to see them manage their difficulties.  It was an honor to have helped them.  I am blessed they were my parents and miss them terribly. 

Esmrlda
by Esme on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Its never to late!  Those girls are so lucky to have someone like you in their lives.

Quoting momma-t42:

I learned the power in giving some years back when my husbands company began giving out end of the year bonuses. We were then able to financially help out others...
As far as giving of my time?, that came last year when I started out by volunteering at the group home I now work at. It has made a huge impact on my life... Probably more than the girls who reside there.
I'm kind of embarrassed it took me so long to develop such meaningful experiences... But for years we were very poor, and without family living anywhere close by, we've done everything on our own which caused me to be extremely inward focused.

homeskoolmama
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I was raised to help others and it has always been my nature. But the year my youngest son was born, it was very difficult financially, we had no jobs, no car, no phone, our car had been repossessed and I had the baby 7 weeks early. No food and the holidays hit, a lady from church hear and came with a truck load, literally, to our home with food and gifts for us all. It really touched me in more ways than one and something I will never forget.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:18 AM

When my son Michael was 5 months old. He had an ear infection and I did not have enough money for his antibiotic when I went to pick it up. The pharmacist pulled out his wallet and paid for it himself.

lisamarie1265
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I learned the power of giving in the sixth grade, our youth church group gathered and delivered thanksgiving dinners for the less fortunate in our community, whether they were a family out of work, an elderly couple or person, or just someone down on their luck that particular year, we put together boxes that included potatoes, canned vegetables, bread or rolls, canned gravy, a can of sweet potatoes, even cranberry sauce, and a donated turkey and pumpkin pie from the grocery store, the day before thanksgiving we delivered over 100 dinners, I recall it was cold and snowy, but what a gift to see the looks on the people's faces, we were greeted with smiles, with tears, with looks of oh you shouldn't have ect... But everyone was accepting. We made our final delivery by 7pm, we were cold, tired, overwhelmed, but it felt wonderful as we where greeted back at church with hot chocolate, and donuts, we ended our evening determined to do something special for Christmas and decided on a giving tree, the kids in our youth ministry still do the thanksgiving dinners and the giving tree... 

When my daughters attended school at the church I grew up in they were a big part of the youth ministry, they learned the power of giving at an early age, we always give to coats for kids and toys for tots.. Once my becca begged and pleaded for this little doll at a toy store in the mall, I explained that we were going to see Santa and he would listen to what she would like for Christmas, she wouldn't get off this little doll, so I broke down...she was 4, she held onto that package like it was gold, when she got up to see Santa he asked what she would like ect... After she told him she handed him the bag, she thanked Santa then asked him if he would give that little doll to another little girl who might not be able to come and see him cause maybe she was poor... I swear every elf had a tear, some moms and yes even Santa.  With Santas instructions becca took the little doll to two Marines, and asked them to make sure a little girl got the pretty doll.  The power of giving is the power of love, bless..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)