Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Short term disability

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:45 PM
  • 10 Replies

When receiving Short term disability payments, is it required to withhold State and Federal taxes?

Ellen

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoeyG
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I don't think so since if it is coming from SSD it is from what was witheld from your income via SS tax already, it is not considered "income"

nana9106
by Darlene on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:22 PM
I don't know...that's a good question
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
homeskoolmama
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM

My dad is on disability but he gets money from Social Sercurity. He doesn't pay taxes and does not have to file either.

sabrtooth1
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Short term disability is generally paid from insurance held by the employer or union.  It is paid during the FIRST six months of disability, and it IS taxable income.

SSD (Social Security Disability) is payable AFTER the first six months of disability.  If you file Federal taxes as an "individual", and your income is more than $25K including the SSD, you DO HAVE TO to pay taxes.  If you are married and file jointly, and you and your spouse together earn more than $32K including the SSD, you DO HAVE TO pay taxes.

State taxes depend upon your state.

CoeyG
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I'm on SSD LOL don't come close to $25K lol. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Not sure but hope someone can help you out :)

Join us at 

Time Out for You

Shellness
by Michell on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:56 AM

No

allforedwards
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:16 AM
I think they do here. My husband checks were a joke. He was on short term last month.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mac1940
by Mary Ann on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I don't think Social Security Disability pays short term disability.  That is paid by either the company you work for or through an insurance plan they have for this.  I don't know for sure if there are any taxes withheld from this but you might want to check with your tax preparer or a CPA to see if you have to declare this as income, if not then there should be nothing withheld from it.

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:08 AM

I was thinking this same thing. I called Social Security two years ago when I was going to be out of work for a few months and they said they couldn't help me at all.

Quoting mac1940:

I don't think Social Security Disability pays short term disability.  That is paid by either the company you work for or through an insurance plan they have for this.  I don't know for sure if there are any taxes withheld from this but you might want to check with your tax preparer or a CPA to see if you have to declare this as income, if not then there should be nothing withheld from it.

~~CINDY

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)