Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Have you seen this?...

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:58 PM
  • 15 Replies

Some insiders are calling it a security crisis at hotels nationwide: A breach, leaving you more vulnerable.

When you lock your hotel door, you assume you're safe and your stuff is safe. Don't be so sure: Thieves have invented a small, simple device that can unlock hotel doors at some of the most popular chains. Some hotels have known about this security problem for months -- so why hasn't it been fixed?

Have an idea for Rossen Reports? Email us by clicking here!

Jim Stickley is a security expert who worked with us on this report. Using a homemade gadget to pop electronic doors, he was able to break into a hotel room in seconds -- no kicking the door, no fancy tools.

We booked hotel rooms in New Jersey where he did it again and again -- at a Hyatt, a Ramada, a Doubletree Hilton. This security flaw is so alarming, even hotel managers are stunned. "That's absolutely insane," one said when we showed him.

The device is so small, thieves can hide it in a magic marker. And criminals are learning how to make it watching videos posted online.

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Why123
by Nancy on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I haven't seen that before.  It certainly makes me nervous.

CoeyG
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Haven't seen it but heard of it.  Why would you expect to e 100% safe in a hotel to begin with?  You take your chances all the time.

nybor48
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I saw this this morning on my homepage....  the internet is a wonderful thing... Thieves that didn't know about it before, know about it now...  with that being said, I agree with Coey... I worked at a hotel chain for about 10 years running the housekeeping department....  and that was about 23 years ago... You would be amazed at how much can happen once you leave your room with your belongings in it... 

louannwilkins
by Louann on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:01 PM

I haven't seen it but boy is that scary!!  They need to do something to fix it now!! 

nana9106
by Darlene on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:23 PM
Well that is scary
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
smile357
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I saw it on the news this morning and all the manager of some of the chains said was it was something that they're working on. They said they've known about this for over 6 months now.  He started back tracking him self when they asked how safe are people in their rooms.  The quick fixes are a bunch of jokes also.

gonecrazi
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Guess you're not really safe anywhere. 

homeskoolmama
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

oh my gosh! My dh worked at a large hotel chain for 5 years, wow, not sure he has seen this then. He's at a nursing home now, wonder if it works on the sercurity doors? have to show him

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I saw the story on Today this morning.  You have to be so very careful these days.  We always put our passports, jewellery, other valuables in the safe in the room, including my husband's laptop computer.  

gmadiane
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:46 PM

scary

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)