Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Kitchen Talk for December 11th

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:52 AM
  • 15 Replies

Do you like Fruitcake? Have you ever made it?

If so, wanna share your best Fruitcake recipe?

~~CINDY

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jers.
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:54 AM

I only like my mom's.

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:04 AM

I've never cared for it.

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Never made it and never ate it. They always looked so dry and unappealing!

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:08 AM

No. And no. LOL

Why123
by Nancy on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:24 AM

They are ok.  I will eat it if it is given to me.  My mom likes them so to make her happy I have eaten many.  I don't make them though.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:27 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Never liked it & never made it ;)

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I used to like my Moms homemade ones but that might of been because she soaked them in my Dads homemade blackberry wine.lol  But I've also made them and they were pretty good. I usually make Larry a small one but haven't yet this year.

Here is the recipe I used to use:

Fruit Cake

12 eggs

4 cups of flour

2tsp. baking soda

1/4 cup of dark molasses

2 cups of butter or Oleo

2 cups of sugar

1 lb. of ea: raisins,dates,figs,Citron,Candied Cherries(red or green or a half and half),Candied Pineapple

1/2 lb. of almonds

1/2 lb. pecans

1 cup grape jelly

4 T. cocoa

1 tsp. cinnamon (you can add moe to taste)

1 tsp. Allspice

4 cups Blackberry Wine

Directions:

Soak nuts in wine overnight.

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs 1 at a time,beating each egg in. Sift flour,spices and soda together and add to above  mixture.

Cut fruit into chunks and flour,shkae off excessive flour. Add nuts and wine and fruits and molasses. Stir well,batter will be stiff.

Butter three loaf pans,line with waxed or brown paper. Butter paper. Pack batter firmly into pans within 1/2 inch from top.  cover tops of pans with waxed paper or foil. And place pan of water in oven under cake pans.

Bake at 250 degrees for the following lengths of time:

2lb. cakes, 3 1/2 hours

3 lb. cakes, 4 hours

Remove paper or foil from top lastg 15 minutes of cooking. when cakes are done-wrap pans in foil,then in towel until cakes are completely cool. Remove from pans and store in airtight container. It is best to make a month ahead of time and given time to season. 

I usually make mine around the middle of November.  And I do what my Mom used to do and thats soak cheese cloth in a mixture of blackberry wine and whiskey(or just the wine),wrap the cakes in the cheese cloth securely and then in tin foil. Let set for about a hour or so then put in the freezer until needed.

This tastes really good when sliced and warmed up with a little hard sauce poured over it.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I do not like fruitcake for the most part although my sister's MIL used to make something she called Brazil Nut Sensation which was wonderful.  If I can find my copy of her recipe I will post it.  No candy fruit in it and not much cake, but it had marschino cherries, brazill nuts, I think dates and I can't remember what else but it was ymmy.  I have never made the traditional kind of fruitcake.  Many years ago when I worked in a clinic in Seaside, Oregon the man who owned the local mortuary used to bring all the clinic employees gifts at Christmas - a fifth of booze for each of the male employees and doctors and a fruitcake for the females.  And none of us ladies liked them.  So one year, I got brave and told Harry that us ladies drank too.  Just before Christmas that year, Harry died of a heart attack, but on the 23rd of December, here came his assistant with several big bags and a note attached, saying Merry Christmas - If you need more, call me.  And in those bags was a variety of fifths of alcohol.  No fruitcake.

KittyGram
by Becky on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:28 PM

My mom made them when we were growing up.  I didn't like them back then, and I'm sure I haven't tasted one since I lived with her over 30 years ago!!! 

louannwilkins
by Louann on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I do like them pretty good.  I don't make a regular fruit cake but I have made an icebox fruit cake before.  I haven't made one in about 5 or 6 years but those are really good

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)