Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sleepless nights!

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:04 AM
  • 22 Replies

For the past three nights I've hardly been sleeping at all. I usually don't get in bed until late because of waiting up until Larry gets home form work about 10:30 or so,then we talk and watch TV while he unwinds.  But I got to bed and its a little sleep here then I wake up for about a hour or so,then it repeats over and over.  I woke up this morning and felt tireder then when I went to bed.  And it takes me forever to get going in the mornings.

Anybody else have these problems? Any suggestions on how I can get better rest. I've cut out caffiene after 6 or 7pm. I try not toeat anything either after that. And usually when I go to bed I might read awhile.  

I'm seriously getting ready to pull my hair out if I don't get some sleep soon.  And I do not like taking sleep aides.

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
specialwingz
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I have to take a hot bath and read before I ccan sleep.  No hot bath, no sleep for me.  

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Try melatonin..it is in the vitamin section. Also, a warm bath, and some hot tea or warm milk. Lavender is a relaxing scent also.

CoeyG
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:17 AM

It's all a part of aging.  You might want to see your doctor as well.  I take a homeopathic remedy sometimes call Calms Fort' by Hylands.  But I am usually up pretty late myself.  I have learned that mine depends upon the moon's phases though.  So I keep an eye on that.  Mine also depends upon my health as well.  I have Lupus and right now I'm ending a flare. 

specialwingz
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Definitely lavender!  I put lavender bubble bath or essential oil in my hot bath.

Quoting LadySaphira:

Try melatonin..it is in the vitamin section. Also, a warm bath, and some hot tea or warm milk. Lavender is a relaxing scent also.

hugss
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I agree with this,
If it persists perhaps speak with your doctor :)

Quoting CoeyG:

It's all a part of aging.  You might want to see your doctor as well.  I take a homeopathic remedy sometimes call Calms Fort' by Hylands.  But I am usually up pretty late myself.  I have learned that mine depends upon the moon's phases though.  So I keep an eye on that.  Mine also depends upon my health as well.  I have Lupus and right now I'm ending a flare. 

sweetnana1964
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:23 AM
Quoting LadySaphira:

Melatonin works great and it is a natural supplement so you don't have to worry. We all have melatonin already in our body to help us relax and rest. It is very safe and usually you don't need but about 5 mg to help you get to sleep.
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:44 AM

I agree with the melatonin.  It's a natural hormone our body produces and it's abundant when we are born.  that's why babies sleep so much!  as we age, our melatonin levels decrease.  I know I need my sleep and don't want to find my self wide awake at 2 or 3 in the morning with my full day's work ahead of me.  I take melatonin and benadryl to help me get a good nights sleep.  A warm glass of milk will also help or any foods with tryptophan in them.  Also a warm soak in a tub of epsom salts can help.

Also cut out the caffiene before 6 or 7 p.m.  Brew some chamomile tea and drink that instead. 

mt0130
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I have mostly sleep deprived nights! I would cut out the caffiene even earlier, I usuall shoot for between 2-3pm as the latest to have anything with caffiene in it. I also use "Midnight" which is melatonin, found in most stores it helps most of the time.

nana9106
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I was having that problem and started taking a sleep aid for about 2 weeks, after the 2 weeks I stopped taking it. Now I sleep through the night with no problems

LEK19
by Group Admin on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:02 AM

You may want to cut the caffein earlier. It affects people different ways.

I noticed I am up more as I get older, too. It is a part of it all! An older friend of mine told me to learn how to knit - get up and knit!

I have always slept less than most people. I don't really remember a time when I have ever slept through the night. Lately I average 4-5 hours - doing basically what you are. Then eventually I "crash" and sleep longer in the early a.m. then back to the same routine. I worry about it as I get older and sleep even less...

My doctor thinks I am doing ok since it is not a drastic change from my usual sleep patterns. He does not think melatonin will help me much because of the way I sleep. It works better for other sleep disturbances. Rather than stayng in bed, tossing and turning and ruminating about stuff, I am to get up and do something else until I feel myself getting sleepy again and then return to bed.

In other words - "learn how to knit!" Ha!

Since this is something different than your usual sleep pattern, you should talk to your doctor if trying these suggestions doesn't help. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)