Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adult Kids Who Cook

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:02 AM
  • 56 Replies
1 mom liked this

Last night we had dinner at my daughter's place. This was the first time she was the hostess at her apartment. She has made dishes or desserts for potluck dinners before and helped with meal prep, but this was her first time planning and cooking the whole meal. She did a good job, too! She made pork chops, salad and fried potatoes. Then we went to Bentleyville, a huge Christmas light display in a park, to see the lights, Santa and Mrs. Claus. Afterwards we went back to her place for crackers & cheese and bubbly juice, hot chocolate and stuff.

My boys have taken us out for dinner, pick up take out, buy things they don't have to cook or contribute groceries for a dinner, but they have yet to plan and cook a whole meal for us. They are 33 and 32. They both do cook. They learned at a young age. Their sister is 25. She would have hosted a dinner earlier but her other apartment was very small or she had too many roomates.

How about your adult kids? Is it usually the daughter to do this first?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amylulu1
by Amy on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:08 AM

What a great kid! And what's bubbly juice?

My daughter enjoys cooking and cooks quite a bit for us.  On Sunday she made Taco Soup for the first time and aced it!  She does a great job.  The most my son has made for me is Hamburger Helper, LOL!

louannwilkins
by Louann on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Sounds awesome!!  Nobody invites me over.  Not kid wise anyway.  lol  They want MOM to make whatever we eat.  lol  It would be nice to be the one going to the dinner once in a while though.  lol   :)

nana9106
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Sounds like ya'll had fun!

When we went to NC my son and his wife hosted a cookout...he did all of the grilling and she did all of the sides. I got ran out of the kitchen everytime I tried to help. They wanted to do it all. They did a great job. My DD has not ever hosted any kind of party YET. When her DH gets back from Korea she is planning a "welcome home" for him. I know she will do a great job

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM

All of my kids (2 sons, l daughter) are excellent cooks.  My daughter loves to cook and bake.  My oldest son is also a very good cook...now.  He learned by necessity and long distance calls to me initially and has since developed in a gourmet type cook.  My youngest son is still in the learning, again by long distance calls, but has perfected a lot of things. 

Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:24 PM

She did very well!

My sons never have. Their wives have cooked for us, though. And they are good cooks. :). 

Rileyscute
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:35 PM

My daughter can cook..and can cook really really well! When she was 15, I had surgery 4 days before christmas. She cooked all of christmas dinner by herself, and did an awesome job

caro100
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:37 PM

My son and his girlfiend had us over for a meal that they prepared together.  If it was just the boys alone, it would be take out.

LEK19
by Group Admin on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Quoting amylulu1:

What a great kid! And what's bubbly juice?

My daughter enjoys cooking and cooks quite a bit for us.  On Sunday she made Taco Soup for the first time and aced it!  She does a great job.  The most my son has made for me is Hamburger Helper, LOL!

This is what my daughter gets, but there are lots of others there. It is non-alcohol carbonated juice. We serve it in wine glasses. It makes things a little more festive for kids and non-drinkers.

They sell it in bottles and cans.

LEK19
by Group Admin on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Quoting louannwilkins:

Sounds awesome!!  Nobody invites me over.  Not kid wise anyway.  lol  They want MOM to make whatever we eat.  lol  It would be nice to be the one going to the dinner once in a while though.  lol   :)

Hey, It still might happen!!!

LEK19
by Group Admin on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Quoting nana9106:

Sounds like ya'll had fun!

When we went to NC my son and his wife hosted a cookout...he did all of the grilling and she did all of the sides. I got ran out of the kitchen everytime I tried to help. They wanted to do it all. They did a great job. My DD has not ever hosted any kind of party YET. When her DH gets back from Korea she is planning a "welcome home" for him. I know she will do a great job

It is funny when they chase you out of the kitchen! Got to offer, right?!?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)