Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Have you ever been to a symphony?

Posted by   + Show Post

Where was it? What symphony company was it?

Did you enjoy it? 

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Replies (21-30):
Shellness
by Michell on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Sounds like my kind of good time. I love Metallica and Pearl Jam too! Wonderful!

Quoting EireLass:

Yes, I took my kids to an outdoor concert by the Boston Pops in Western MA. They had each taken me to one of their concerts....Metallica & Pearl Jam....so I took them to one of mine. We made a whole weekend of it. Lots of fun.

Shellness
by Michell on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:40 PM

What a wonderful Childhood. You were blessed with that! What did your mother play?

Quoting drumomma:

My mom played in the local symphony orchestra, so as kids we were dragged to each concert usually about 8 a year. As an adult I love to see the orchestra. I would say my favorite was seeing (Yoyo Ma?) play. Love the strings. Saw a great electric violinist once too. My brothers play, but I never had the musical talent they did. My grandkids play violin & piano.

Shellness
by Michell on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:42 PM

What wonderful memories she must have!

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Yes.  There are many symphonies in the Chicagoland area, and I have enjoyed many of them, including the CSO.  My kids were in band for many years.  My older dd played in several community symphonies, as well as several community theater pit bands.  She was accepted to DePaul for music, and had a scholarship to School of the Art Institute.  She ended up going to the University of Illinois for Art and Art Ed, but played there also.  Her last hurrah, before the art became too intense, was a trip to England with the Marching Illini.

Shellness
by Michell on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I have seen the Orlando Symphony and Disney's Symphony Orchestra. I love classical music!

kam013
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Quoting Shellness:

I want to see them.

Quoting kam013:

Yes, I have been to the Boston Pops (Symphony) several times starting when I was in Junior high school. Last time was about 10 years ago.

We have also been to the Boston Pops on the Esplanade during their 4th of July concert a couple of times.  Always an amazing experience, but oh so crowded.

Definitely worth the trip.  Goosebumps pretty much covers it!

drumomma
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:33 PM
She plays the viola but also plays & teaches violin & piano.

Quoting Shellness:

What a wonderful Childhood. You were blessed with that! What did your mother play?

Quoting drumomma:

My mom played in the local symphony orchestra, so as kids we were dragged to each concert usually about 8 a year. As an adult I love to see the orchestra. I would say my favorite was seeing (Yoyo Ma?) play. Love the strings. Saw a great electric violinist once too. My brothers play, but I never had the musical talent they did. My grandkids play violin & piano.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:06 PM

no, but I would like to go see one sometime.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Yes I have, a few times.  I am always struck by the difference between live sound and recorded.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I've never been to an actual symphony.  But many decades ago, I heard this, and googled it today and WOW!  There it is!!!   So I'm sharing this with you all.  Beethoven's Symphony No. 5.  ENJOY!!!

mt0130
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:14 PM

We live near Phila and my husband loves classical music, so we have been to hear the Phila. orchestra many times, I try to get tickets for around his birthday as a gift-I am not as much of a fan as he is. To me some pieces just go on way too long so I look for concerts that have more shorter pieces instead of 2 long ones! One thing you learn the first time you go is that you don't clap after each "movement" just at the end of the whole piece! We always go with another family for their Christmas concert which I enjoyed a lot this year because it was more Christmas music. If you think you would like it you should go, chose composers that you have heard of before(old ones, the newer composers works are weird.) You will also be surprised at how many pieces are used as background music to commercials, shows, and old cartoons!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)