Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

I haven't posted in a while but~

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM
  • 25 Replies

I could really use some input~  My DH and I have been together almost 36 years and I think I may be falling out of love with him...He has turned into a really strange man~ He has become an alcoholic and just really gets on my nerves.  He is 62 (I am 57) we have started bickering almost daily.  I really think we could benefit from some counseling but he wont do it with me....I just have sooo many bad feelings about this that I could go on and on with all my feelings but I don't know where to start...any advice ladies? 

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Go to counseling alone if he won't go with you. I'm so sorry. *HUGS*

EireLass
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM

The counseling you should get will be to help you as an individual, and also help you deal with him.

You could also go to Al-Anon meetings to help you.

And you could find someone withint AA who has been there long enough that qualifies as a sponser to come to your home.

Alcohol is a horrible thing. It's like the elephant in the room that nobody talks about.

amylulu1
by Amy on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Both of the ladies above have excellent advice.  I'm sorry that you are going through this turmoil right now.  Alcoholics think that they are only hurting themselves...they don't recognize the pain they put their family and friends through. 

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I agree, also look into al-anon

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Go to counseling alone if he won't go with you. I'm so sorry. *HUGS*

Click on my siggy to help find a cure for cancer!

KittyGram
by Becky on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:07 PM
4 moms liked this

Yep, go to counselling without him.  When a person seeks counselling, it is for him/herself, not for others, so go with the attitude of taking care of yourself, and it will all fall in place.  Maybe he will eventually go, maybe not.  Either way, you're getting help for YOU.

Hugs and best wishes!!!!

jules8289
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Alcoholism is such a home wrecker. Go to counseling with our without him. If your a church goer don't stop going and maybe talk to your pastor. Get in touch with Alanon. Also tell him in so many words what you have told us here. Ask him if he gives a damn if your 36 year marriage goes down the drain. Also....be honest with yourself about your true feelings. If your unhappy with your life even without his alcohol problem make a life change. There is always temporary seperation to see what comes. Your too old (not really) to play this game and be unhappy with the 25+ years left of your life. I wish you the best of luck. Let us know how things are going for you.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I agree that counseling is necessary and like the others said "go alone if you must".  Al-Anon is also an excellent resource.  Is   And, yes, have the above discussion with him.  Watch the movie, Hope Springs.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I'm really sorry!  I agree that you should go to counseling....even if it's alone.  It will help you I'm sure.  Good luck and keep us posted   :)

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Get counseling on your own. Go to al-anon (sp?)  I hear it is very useful.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I agree with everyone...counseling and al-anon.   (((hugs)))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN