Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

How do you decide what charities to support?

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM
  • 35 Replies

Local?  National? when a crisis happens?  When you see need? Personal health concerns? When you see heart-breaking ads on TV?

I donate to organizations that I am interested in and that seem to need money, but I also check them with the attorney general's office to see what percentage they spend on administrative costs and how much actually goes to the charity.  I don't like to think that for every dollar I donate that 25cents, for example, goes to pay for advertising.

How do you determine where to donate?

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma-t42
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:07 PM
I donate to the girls group home I affiliated with. I cannot save the world, but it is my passion and therefor I am ok with however they utilize the funds.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:09 PM

This is a wonderful motivation. I agree, we can't save the world.

Quoting momma-t42:

I donate to the girls group home I affiliated with. I cannot save the world, but it is my passion and therefor I am ok with however they utilize the funds.

lisamarie1265
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:43 PM

We support The Sjogrens Sydrome Foundation, both my husband and daughter have Sjogrens.  We support The American Cancer Foundation, The Heart Association and The World Wildlife Foundation.  I have also contributed to our ASPCA.  We may not be able to heal the world, but we feel every penny is a step towards healing.  Bless...

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:59 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I donate to children with cancer,
Lost a student many years ago & never got over it ..
It was tough :(

louannwilkins
by Louann on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a special place in my heart for the epilepsy assoc. since my son suffered with seizures for years.  I also am big into giving here in my county....food and clothes etc...Our church takes up money, food etc... on a reg basis for them.  I REALLY like helping the ones right here in our community.  Also to cancer.  I don't have a lot of money but I guess every little bit they get helps.  Those are the main ones I guess.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Well if anyone wants to donate but doesn't know where or who  ... I work for a nonprofit 501 (c)(3) organization!  and right now the main focus of my job is to obtain grant funding.  I've been told my job and that of my 2 coworkers is on the line unless I find funding.  $100,000 would be a nice start.  I think that would cover us for 2013. We are a nonprofit immigration removal defense law clinic and provide discounted and/or pro bono legal representation to indigient individuals who find themselves in removal proceedings.  many of these people would end up being deported back to their home country and their children and spouse (mostly US citizen children/spouses) would either have to go with them, or the family gets torn apart. All of these individuals, of course, are here illegally - but did you know that even if you arrived here in the US with a Visa - if that visa expires - you are now here illegally.  So many of our clients happen to be young adults - their parents brought them over - with valid Visas - but then overstayed - and they grew up with the rest of us. And then got found out by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.   Of course many do arrive here by simply walking across the border ...  i know it's a controversial subject - but I do enjoy what I do - and of course, it's a job!

but seriously.  I haven't donated to any causes for quite some time - except I did donate to Lisa's Oligo team a couple years ago because my son and Lisa's daughter have the same type of stupid brain tumor.  But for the past 4 years I've had to watch every penny and didn't feel I could 'afford' to donate to other causes. 

Marinefranksmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I don't have a lot to give but I do like to help when I can.  My Dad used to say, "charity begins at home", so I start with my own church & its food pantry.  I also support organizations that help the military (my son is a Marine) so I usually donate to the USO & Wounded Warrior Project at his suggestion.  And, because my brother died from ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease), my niece will participate in an annual fund raising walk & I will donate to that as well. 

jules8289
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I like to help out soup kitchens for the homeless and needful. A part of my daily prayer is to ask God not to let any stomach go hungry. What a horrible thing to be hungry. That is the most prominant and basic need people have. To know where your next meal is coming from.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:31 AM
We donate clothes etc to a local charity. We also donate to dh's college he went to. He donates through work to United Way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:47 AM

We have 4 charities that come through here and will pick up clothes and household items that you set out for them.  My husband still donates to his college. 

Quoting atlmom2:

We donate clothes etc to a local charity. We also donate to dh's college he went to. He donates through work to United Way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN